Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Seb

The Roy Thomson Hall

Here is a first picture from my week to Toronto. Quite frankly, I don't know if I like it or not. The perspective appeared interesting on the field but I am not sure about the final result.

Please criticise.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Hi Seb,
    Interesting buildings. I would crop the top and adjust the contrast of the pic. This shot has much potential.
    yoyo

I like this, Seb. . .I like the framing and clean look of this image. I would only suggest bringing up the gamma a notch and like Yoyo suggested a bit more contrast. Good show
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Opinionated Newbie
    Seb -- This looks like it was shot at around 50 or 70mm. Am I correct?

I'd be curious how it would have looked if you had moved closer to the glass structures and opened wide (say 18mm). The color saturation is a little flat, but that's nothing a little PS can't fix. A polarizer or even a warming filter may have assisted in that regard.

Seb
    Hey Guys,

Thank you for your imput.

Yoyo: I already worked this shot, it's cropped, perspective corrected and I played with the levels. I wasn't exactly sure regarding how much the top part should be cropped. I'll rework it tonight and post the second attempt.

Gary: I'll see what I can do with the contrast.

Todd: Actually, the exact specs for this shot are 28mm f/9 1/320sec at iso 200. It may be misleading as I cropped rather tight. Taken alone it may look like it was shot at 50mm moreover. I don't own I wide angle lense now but I see your point here. I might have captured even more details from the glass structures by being closer.

Then again, thank to all of you.

Seb

Seb
    Here is my second take with more contrast, some saturation and an obvious crop at the top of the frame.

Please criticise.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

The thing to me with this shot and the first, is what is the center of interest, is it hte panels in front with their odd placement as a barrier, is it the building directly behind with the different window panels, is it the different building shapes, in a grouping, not knowing what shaped to take. A bit like people really. Certainly the second posting is better, but I think probably needs more cropping off the top.

Maybe a bit like this redo of the first one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Roy Thomson Hall-roy42a.jpg  

Hi Seb,
    It seems that PS does not help much. I suggest reshoot the buildings when the weather is better.
    yoyo

Seb
    Hey guys,

Peter: Thank you for taking the time to comment. Actually the point of interest should be the unusual center building, the side buildings simply acting as a frame. However, if I have to explain this then my composition quite certainly is less than stellar...

Yoyo: This one was shot on a sunny day in the early afternoon. Arguably, this was not the best time to shoot but I had 5 days to spend in that large city that is Toronto and I had a lot to see/do so the shot had to be done.

regards

Seb

I think this is a very good architectural scene with a lot of interest (cool shapes, line and color). Truthfully I don't mind your original framing at all. You could afford to crop down a little but it's hardly a deal-breaker IMO. I think the part that distracts me most are the glass panels in front of you. They tend to break up the eye's path to the round building (a path which is created by the building walls to the left and right). If you're ever back in that area, maybe the trick would be to stand on a park bench or tree planter and shoot over top of them more?
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Thread Information