Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Railroad at Dawn

This is my first photo critique, but that doesn't mean go easy on me either...

I shot this on my way to work, and edited it with a sepia toned down to a bronze and adjusted for focus and depth of field.

Please feel free to let me know how you honestly feel...it's the easiest way for me to improve my work..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Railroad at Dawn-railway_perspective.jpg  
    Please ask permission before using any of my work. All shots are by me, or my business partner and used with shared permission by both of us.
    All images
    Copyright OmegaPhotoz.com
    Feel free to edit my photography in your critiques, but nothing else.
    Equipment: Canon 400D w/ Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens and Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Lens. On its way is a Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens.
    Photography @ www.flickr.com/omegaphotoz www.OmegaPhotoz.com

Re: Railroad at Dawn

Crooked to my eye, but quite good otherwise IMO
    I am mainly here to learn, I'm pretty new at photography so please don't be afraid to say whatever you need to if you're critiquing my photos, and take my composition advice with an extra grain of salt

A little crooked, but it gives a nice perspective for the depth of the photo. My only suggestion would be a little more detail in the background would be nice, but that is only an opinion.
    Nice shot.
    -The first step to catching perfect photos is knowing the ones that are imperfect
    Samyule Pertuit

ok here's my take on this shot, first of all you have a subject that is in perfect view, giving the viewer, that this is the main subject of the shot , since everything else is blurred out, but your main subject is cut off at the bottom, i like the antique style the picture portrays,better than black and white, the telephone wires on the right side is definetly distraction,and of course the picture is slightly tilted to the left side,other than that ,it could have potential,just too much distraction for the viewer to appreciate. (my opinion )
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

I like this pic. I'm a noob, so take this for what it's worth, but i think everything in the pic works. Even the angle. It feels industrial to me, so the electric wires, the metalic subject, the overcast sky and dead looking trees as well as the bronze tone all work together. Good job.

I like it other than it beeing tilted

MB1

I'm with the "It's tilted" crowd. It is tilted enough to notice but not tilted enough for the viewer to think it is an artistic choice. That is a problem because tilt is something even the most casual viewer is going to notice.

Other than that I like what you did here.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Level it and you have a winner. I like it.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Welcome to the forum. I agree it's tilted but it does not bother me. . .it seems to go with the rawness of the scene and comp. I like the color treatment. I am bothered by the element/subject chosen to be in the foreground. It seems as if there is too much of it on the one hand and then on the other it looks to be chopped off too much. I just feel something else might have worked best to take up that much chunk of area in the fg. The big plus for me in this shot is the train coming in around the bend with headlights glaring in the bg. Still an interesting scene and capture.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Welcome to the forum. I agree it's tilted but it does not bother me. . .it seems to go with the rawness of the scene and comp. I like the color treatment. I am bothered by the element/subject chosen to be in the foreground. It seems as if there is too much of it on the one hand and then on the other it looks to be chopped off too much. I just feel something else might have worked best to take up that much chunk of area in the fg. The big plus for me in this shot is the train coming in around the bend with headlights glaring in the bg. Still an interesting scene and capture.

Thanks for the comments everyone! This shot was actually the first of shots that I have done outside on particular items of interest. For over a year and a half, I've done solely inside studio shooting, so your comments have helped me emensely. I'll see about getting another shot just like this one and hopefully, I'll get a better shot.
    Please ask permission before using any of my work. All shots are by me, or my business partner and used with shared permission by both of us.
    All images
    Copyright OmegaPhotoz.com
    Feel free to edit my photography in your critiques, but nothing else.
    Equipment: Canon 400D w/ Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens and Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Lens. On its way is a Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Lens.
    Photography @ www.flickr.com/omegaphotoz www.OmegaPhotoz.com

Thread Information