Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Neptune, New Jersey, United States of America

Clouded Sulfur Moth

I shot this at the beach this past summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clouded Sulfur Moth-clouded-sulphur-moth-2-_800x600.jpg  
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Re: Clouded Sulfur Moth

I like the way the butterfly blends in with the plants, but is enough in the foreground to grab my attention. It might be my monitor, but there seems to be some noise in the sky.

I am more interested in the flower petals....if anything, the dull colors of the moth hurt this photo....also, it seems to be a bit out of focus, and it's a bit off-centered...
    "The force of art lies in its immediate influence on human psychology and in its active contagiousness."

-Naum Gabo

Seems really soft or like you cropped it way down from the original. Cant decide if the moth blending in is cool or just too hard to find.

MB1

#1 Having the main subject of the image so close to the center of the frame reduces the dynamics of the image.

#2 I am not sure about the way the moth blends into the background is all that good here.

#3 This looks like a small crop of a much larger image-hence everything is a bit soft.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Neptune, New Jersey, United States of America

This image has indeed been reduced to conform with the site requirements. The original image is approx 2816x2112 and 3mb. This was reduced to 800x600 and 261k using "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" - therefore the quality does degrade a bit. I do not have PhotoShop.
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Thread Information