Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sunny Morn

Sunny Morn

Playing with my new D300 this AM...........

Tell me how bad this is.

Len
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunny Morn-040608_00268-800.jpg  

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Re: Sunny Morn

Nice shot. the DOF is fantastic as are the shadows.
    Good eye to catch this.

GB1

Not bad.. very interesting. Play with the lighting a bit in PS and you might have a really, really interesting abstract. The only part I am not sure about is the ground, which is just 'there' compared to the rest. But I wouldn't crop it, it really grounds and places the photo.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I agree with Rick. Nice catch....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thank you for all the kind comments..

I'll play with the light a little & see what happens.

Len

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Well, hate to go against the grain, but I see a wall with a shadow on the wall...I know the anxiousness of using new toys, but I this one just does not do it for me.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

i agree as well, its a wall with a shadow that is both cut from the top and bottom, plus too much wall, i think if you were to take the image from a side view with the camera ,then the full shadow would be in view,as well a better cropping would avail, just my opinion.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

It's good for what it is. I might like to see a little bit more context and/or more of the tree's shadow. The shadow itself doesn't seem to pop out enough.

How are you liking the camera???
    "Photography as a fad is well-nigh on its last legs, thanks principally to the bicycle craze."

-- Alfred Stieglitz
    The American Annual of Photography, 1897

L.A. Landscapes

For me the shadow isn't punchy enough and would probably be better in B&W.

I have seen a couple of really good ones of pictures like this which made me stand and look, but this doesn't have that punch to it. By the way, both of those were in B&W.

On each occasion the bricks had a lot of texture to them and a very bold shadow.

Hope that helps

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

The elements are there. As is it's not working for me.

Thanks for all the comments. I was curious as to the reactions.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I think it's close, but I can't figure out what to do with it to make it better......I keep going back & forth.

I'll play with it & might come back again.

Len

Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    It's good for what it is. I might like to see a little bit more context and/or more of the tree's shadow. The shadow itself doesn't seem to pop out enough.

How are you liking the camera???
    Camera is both very familiar (coming from the D200) and very unfamiliar...........still playing with settings and such and trying to understand the AF engine. So far, I'm glad I did it.

Len

MB1

First of all (from what I have seen) this is a really different look for you-which is always worth doing even if it doesn't work completly.

I think this image could use more contrast and it would be really killer if there was an obvious critter in the tree-a squirrel or a bird or something along those lines.

I am not sure I like this but I like that you did it-if that makes any sense.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    First of all (from what I have seen) this is a really different look for you-which is always worth doing even if it doesn't work completly.

I think this image could use more contrast and it would be really killer if there was an obvious critter in the tree-a squirrel or a bird or something along those lines.

I am not sure I like this but I like that you did it-if that makes any sense.
    I'll bring my trained squirrel next time

I've been trying to do things a little different.....plus, I wanted to see how the camera did with something with very little contrast.

Thanks

Len

GB1

Len - Try bumping up the contrast, converting to B&W, and/or running some filters/effects on it. I still feel that it's a winner.

Weird GB

PS - If you'd like, I can take a whack at an edit.?

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Len - Try bumping up the contrast, converting to B&W, and/or running some filters/effects on it. I still feel that it's a winner.

Weird GB

PS - If you'd like, I can take a whack at an edit.?
    Sure...thanks.

I won't get a chance to play with it until later in the week.

Len

GB1

Len -

Had a little harder time on this one than I expected. Trying to increase the darkness of only the tree shadow but not sure how to do it. Here's a black and white conversion though.. I don't know how I feel about it vs. the original color ... I think I like the b&w better -Gb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sunny Morn-040608_00268-800-edit1.jpg  

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Len -

Had a little harder time on this one than I expected. Trying to increase the darkness of only the tree shadow but not sure how to do it. Here's a black and white conversion though.. I don't know how I feel about it vs. the original color ... I think I like the b&w better -Gb
    Thanks for the effort..

I think MB1 is right...if there was another shadow of something that hinted at something not in the frame, then the picture would be really good. As it is, it's OK.

I'll have to think on this one.

Len

Thread Information