Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Arches

Just Lurking

Arches

I was cleaning off some files from my laptop when I saw this one. I think I meant to post it a while back, but never did.

I'd love to hear what you think about it. C&C gladly welcomed.

PC

Last edited by PrevailingConditions; 03-03-2008 at 04:43 PM.

GB1

Re: Arches

PC - I think I would crop in, eliminating about 1/4 of the left and 1/4 of the top. Not sure what the blue thing on the ground is, but to me, it adds to the shot.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

This is a good one PC and I like it just as it is. The texture is very strong and that blue piece of clothing looks good there.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Great photo, PC. Love the composition, tones and overall feel of this. I agree the blue cloth adds. I would not change a thing here.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-03-2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. March 3, 2008
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Just Lurking

GB - I tried doing some cropping, but I felt that it caused more problems. The triangular area at the top left became somewhat detached and was just an intrusion. At the same time, it forced the smaller arches more toward the center which made it feel more static. As-is, I'm not that happy with the size and impact of the top left area, but I think it needs recomposition within the camera and not via PP. This is in Tel Aviv and I'm not sure when I'll be back there.

Tom & Gary - Thanks for your comments as well. I too like the splash of blue in there. It would have been nice to have something more substantial (maybe a nice guitar? ), but I was shooting through a gate and couldn't get inside.

PC

Here's another version of the same area:
    Last edited by PrevailingConditions; 03-03-2008 at 07:29 PM.

The cropped version is a lot stronger. The metal beam really is iffy to me.
    Louis An Photography

--Canon Rebel XTi
    --18-55 mm EF
    --75-300 mm EF
    --10-17 mm fisheye
    --Adobe Photoshop CS3
    --Photomatix Pro

This is good also but that metal support takes the biscuit.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

The cropped version is good, PC. I also like the full version even better.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Just Lurking

Sorry for being so slow to respond, but it's been crazy lately.

Louis - thanks for commenting. I agree that the metal pole in the middle is distracting. To me it seems to cut the shot in two which is why I don't post it originally. I was debating whether to post it at all, but I wanted to show the larger context.

Tom - I have to chuckle here because I had no idea what "takes the biscuit" meant until I asked an English bloke here at the office. He explained that this is not a favorable term .

Gary - Thank you for the additional feedback. I'm very pleased that you like the shot.

Thanks to everyone else who has looked.

PC

GB1

PC - Congrats on the main photo selection.

I really like the second shot you posted, though that metal beam hurts. Maybe you could remove it digitally........

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Just Lurking

G - Thanks. I was thinking of trying to remove the beam via PS, but it looked like a lot of work with all those curves and I just didn't feel patient enough.

PC

Thread Information