Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Memory Lane

Beware: Mom With Camera

Memory Lane

Ok, so I am trying to be brave and play with crop. I am scared of the crop. LOL! It's a hard habit to break! I initially discarded this photo because it was offcenter and it bothered me, but now - I'm not so sure. So I decided to be brave and post it. What do you think???

Last edited by mtbbrian; 08-01-2004 at 07:47 AM. Reason: UnSticking from Featured Photo 26 July 2004
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCubed
    Ok, so I am trying to be brave and play with crop. I am scared of the crop. LOL! It's a hard habit to break! I initially discarded this photo because it was offcenter and it bothered me, but now - I'm not so sure. So I decided to be brave and post it. What do you think???
    Nice moody shot and I like the extra space you have given it on the right side. Be braver- put the subject around 1/3 in from the left side of the frame.
    Centered is not usually the strongest composition for a shot, although there are times that it works well.

Thanks for the feedback, Chunk. I took your advice here:

Better? Worse??
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-24-2004 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Making Featured Photo for 26 July 04
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCubed
    Thanks for the feedback, Chunk. I took your advice here:

Better? Worse??
    I like it a little better. Get used to trying it in the viewfinder. When you are placing your people nearer the edges you will usually want them looking or moving into the shot rather than toward the edges.
    If you are interested, a google search on Composition Photography gives a bunch of links to interesting pages. The rule of thirds is just one useful tools of many that can heighten the interest in photos.

I agree with Chunk

The second works for me, I like it. Nice work.

Seb

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    I too prefer the second, but, and there's always a BUT !! i prefer pics of children in colour.This one is too serious for me.Children are things of joy and beauty and i like tem pictured so.Does this make sense ? does it have too ?? thats the joy of photography, we all have different tastes and ideas.Thks for sharing. Great model by the way.
    Bobby

I definitely like the second one, the headroom is nice, i think that the background in front of the girl is more interesting than the background behind her, since it is what she can see and that gives more of a relationship, this is a beautiful shot, i love the seriousness of the black and white in this case

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Better!

The second is better.
    I think there is a bit too much space to the left, but it works better than having the girl centered.
    Sometimes you have to crop, sometimes you don't. Be brave and crop, experiment!
    Before you know it, you'll know when you have to and when you won't.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

mtbbrian--nice bullet shot

i too am an avid cyclist and used to own a super-lite in orage ano, didn't like it very much, got a cannondale instead. nice shot though, let me guess, rear curtin sync? at about 1/8 of a sec? if the cyclist is moving fast enough, 1/15 to 1/45 of a second still gives that sense of movement, but cleans up the image (little less blur with the same effect) when i was studing for my photo degree, i interned for a cycling magazine and was sent out to races where i did lots of experimenting with motion and lighting, middle of the night at a 24 hour race is a great place to be creative. keep shootin and ride on

o.k. i have to comment

I really like the feel of this shot and the conversion to BW...the few things I'd do differently is to have her lift a chin a smidgen and maybe get down to her level a bit more somewhere between her level and where you were...I've really been enjoying looking at your posts and look forward to seeing more...here's a fun take on your orginal I used the levels tool and moved the midtones to the left and added some contrast and sharpened and added a diffuse glow in PS...hope you don't mind
    ;)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Great shot~

Hi Chaos, Great shot. I like that the background is interesting, yet not distracting, and that the path draws you in, and helps create the scene.
    I agree with some of the comments above, moving the crop to set her to the left more. I also liked Nats glow.

Take care,

VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Where have I been?! I just realized this was featured. :lol Thanks for the acknowledgment!!!!!!!

I have learned so much from this site already. You guys are great.
    Kate

Thread Information