Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Silhouettes (Warning - Implied Nudity)

Two slight variations.

As usual, C&Cs welcome.

Gb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Silhouettes (Warning - Implied Nudity)-_dsc4394_1_px600.jpg   Silhouettes (Warning - Implied Nudity)-_dsc4393_1_px600.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Silhouettes (Warning - Implied Nudity)

Among all your posted nudity photos I like the one here on the right most and very much. Although I would prefer to have more space to the right, rather than on the left. The silhouette is really really nice and sexy without showing the usual details. Well done here.

id agree the pose on the right is better... being able to see the whole faceil features, and just looks more comfortable than the one on the left.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

GB1

Danke, Engineer. I also wish I had left more space on the right. It was a little harder to get this than it looked - perfect focus was critical, since it had very little depth of field.

Dylan, Thanks too. I sort of prefer how the first one is positioned in the frame, but the second shot is also my favorite.

Gb

My Site

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I, too, like the second one because of the more defined face and also the left hand position.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I like these better simply for the fact that they creates mood were I think the others failed. Sometimes you can take a nice photography that is technically good, exposure, dof, rule of thirds and still the picture lacks mood or emotion. The challenge in shots like these, or any other, is to to find an element or mood that would make them work. I also feel that some clothes is better than none at all. I think you should find some clothes or props that fits the setting. When I think desert I think Indiana Jones, Horses, Easy Rider, motorcycles, ect. Keep at it.....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

GB~

I really like these last two images. They are more interesting to me because you've hidden the obvious in the silhouette and you've let her strike a more powerful position than any of your other images that I've seen so far. I like the colors of the sunset in the background. Either of these is a great expression of "Girl Power" and isn't so focused on the nudity. It's there, but it's not overpowering the image.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

MB1

I too think these are the best of the series so far.

In the others the woman actually looked out of place and somewhat awkwardly posed. I know that there is no actual difference in the location or posing here but this image doesn't say to me "here is a woman who traveled a long way to take her clothes off in an unnatural setting." She looks a lot more comfortable with what she is doing, the image is more about art and less about a naked woman.

For me the second of these is slightly better because of her pose but I would crop a bit from the left to center her and the sun in the frame and a bit from the top to keep the format.

BTW thanks for sharing these, shooting nudes is pretty hard when you want more than nudity. You did well here.
    No, I DON'T need that.

GB1

Thanks folks. Believe me, I tried to get the right poses! I was actually looking for something along the lines of boldness (as Cindy mentioned), but I don't think that was part of this model's demeanor, for she just wasn't providing the exact poses I was looking for (of course, it would have helped if I could have articulated exactly what I wanted.. ). When you're racing against time like this (setting sun, hourly rate, etc etc etc) it's really harder than it looks.

Frog - I agree that the face is better in the second. I think that distances it from # 1.

Greg - Yes, I totally agree about the partially clothed shots, they do create more mood. I was shooting with another photographer that really prefers fully nude artistic photography, his argument was that we were paying more for artistic nudes... wah, wah.. so only some of the shots (not many) were partly clothed. Next time.

Btw, if you check out the swimsuit edition(s) of SI you will really see examples of lack of mood in photography. It's all about the models.

Cindy - Thanks for checking these out. She had a sunset shot on her portfolio by another photog that really sparked my interest -- I told her we had to pose her against the setting sun out there in the desert, high on my list! Like I mentioned the pose wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it does seem to work -- almost like a Yoga or dance pose. She said she's really into artistic stuff and loves artistic poses. You can tell here.

MB - Funny, but there seems there's a fine line between bold poses and uncomfortable ones. I have a ways to go in posing a model to achieve the former, but glad to hear these particular shots work. I'll try your crop.

Btw, she is actually quite comfortable in this type territory, being a professional rock climber. Her portfolio is a mix of stuff,... some works, some doesn't (imo). You can see her port at http://www.onemodelplace.com/model_list.cfm?ID=184626

gb

My Site

Fox
    Ball of Fire

I like these much more!
    I'm not sure its being an immature teenager and feeling 'omg they're naked!' or the shot, but the previous set was much, much less striking then these. nice work

GB1

By the way, for an excellent reference on glamour, check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Glamo.../dp/0817442308

His work is top notch!

Fox, you're a teenager - you should like the previous shots.

gb

My Site

GB1

Here's a final crop to eliminate the left side space.....

My Site

Thread Information