Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Glass Blowing Furnace Abstract

I was at a glass blowing demonstration on Saturday and took a bunch of pics. This ended up being my favorite. All C&C welcome.

1D Mark III
    ISO 100
    50mm at f2.8
    1/200 sec
    -1 1/3 ex comp
    slightly cropped top and right
    lightened up the shadows in PS

Take care,
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glass Blowing Furnace Abstract-glass-furnace-closeup-400.jpg  

GB1

Re: Glass Blowing Furnace Abstract

Hmm. It's a good composition, but I might zoom in a bit. It's sort of part in many areas, reducing the amt of information that the viewer can see... but I'm not sure that it's so bad like that, sort of adds to the mystique.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Interesting image. I would suggest crop from the left so that only the brick in the middle is in the frame. Also, I see you lighten the shadows . . .I think darkening them so that the image is about the shape of the fire and the prong and whatever is illuminated by the flame. Less would be more in this image.
    Pretty good.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

MB1

The background looks a little tilted to me. Otherwise it is fine and I really appreciate the way you captured the reflection of the furnace on the pipe in the foreground.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I cropped a little more from the left and bottom. I also brought down the exposure of the shadows and kicked up the contrast a bit. Is this example better or not drastic enough? I think the lines and form are brought out more as a silhouette. Feel free to modify this image and repost.
    Thanks again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glass Blowing Furnace Abstract-glass-furnace-closeup-400-v2.jpg  

GB1

I think your edit nails it. The only bad part is that it looks like a devil worshiping symbol ?! (that might be a little xtreme, but it does seem odd ... gothic at least).

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

I like the edit. Looks good.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

drg

Joe,

I really like the symmetry, but feel that the exposure in the earlier photo worked better as it showed the detail of the holder in the foreground.

There's some slight depth of field issue at play as well here, so perhaps the silhouette is more what you wish to present. This one has lost some detail. The lighting, framing/composition are a good concept!!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information