Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

SJ Sharks Game Photos

Went to the recent SJ Sharks Hockey game. these where shot with either a 85 f1.8 or 200 f2.8. Shot RAW with ISO between 800 and 1600. It really helps to shoot RAW as it gives you a fighting chance to get the colors right.

On his way to scoring a short-handed goal. The cycling of the lights had this massively yellow and I still need to get better at PS Color Correction

I think these guys don't like each other

Waiting for the puck

Ice Dancing with the Puck

Actually got my 300 f4 in under my coat (felt like High School Dance with contraband hidden in a pocket) and found that it was too long a reach

Any suggestions on color correction sites ?

Thanks & Regards
    Rick

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: SJ Sharks Game Photos

I was at the game tonite, fun game! I snuck my 70-200 in by putting it in my wife's big purse.

In photoshop, you can try to get a white balance by using the ice, or using the grey blade of the ice skate. I did that for some ice hockey stuff I shot and it worked well.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    I was at the game tonite, fun game! I snuck my 70-200 in by putting it in my wife's big purse.

In photoshop, you can try to get a white balance by using the ice, or using the grey blade of the ice skate. I did that for some ice hockey stuff I shot and it worked well.
    Scott: I watched tonights game, could be interesting next time they play St Louis. I have used the ice to WB, but then the sweaters come out weird. Like this:

The teal turns into a blue

The worst was this one. The ice is sort of white and thats about the only color that is close.

I learned that you always shoot RAW if you can from this one.

Regards
    Rick

You should never WB off of ice or snow that was one of the first things that I was taught as a young photog. It will throw your colors tword Blue a lot of times, seems it didn't on this occasion. Something that has always worked for me, is to just take a sheet of computer printing paper and white off of it.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

This is my first year shooting hockey. As far as white balance and ice. I have had zero luck when trying to set it from the stands. Twice I have been able to walk out on the ice and shoot straight down. This seemed to work quite well. 2cents from the noob.

I always set my WB to the tungsten/indoor setting and then bump up exposure to +1.0 or 2.0.

Thread Information