Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Jazz Saxophonist

Here is a series of jazz saxophonist, Alex Han playing at the Art Tatum Jazz Festival. The low evening sun backlit the stage, thus the white background but the stage lights served as fill light. Tri-X@250

I need help deciding which is the best one. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I personally like the first shot the best, although I wish it showed more of the sax like the second does. I would, however, be more than tempted to clone out the line that cuts through diagonally.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by barmy101
    Here is a series of jazz saxophonist, Alex Han playing at the Art Tatum Jazz Festival. The low evening sun backlit the stage, thus the white background but the stage lights served as fill light. Tri-X@250

I need help deciding which is the best one. Thanks.
    These look all good to me. I like the tonal range that you have achieved here. The sax of Alex Han appears to be quite interesting by itself. It might have been interesting to have a close up of the sax while he is playing.

The diagonal line on the first picture do is distracting as Lyra already pointed out.

regards

Seb

Cloned out and Duotoned

Is this better? One of the reasons that I excluded part of the sax was because it was blocked by a speaker. By showing just a portion of the sax, I think it emphasizes his facial expression more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jazz Saxophonist-sax705.jpg  

It's much better without the diagonal line, but I think I preferred it in B&W rather than sepia.

Nice shot barmy101, although I don't like the sepia. I've seen that quite often lately and think it's used too often.

Thread Information