Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

James and Hunter

These are from a shoot a did in early November with some friends. This was in the same building as some of my earlier portraits. We tried some new ideas though. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails James and Hunter-dsc_6075.jpg   James and Hunter-dsc_6085.jpg   James and Hunter-dsc_6149.jpg   James and Hunter-dsc_6159.jpg  

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: James and Hunter

These are good Mike.
    I think the second and thrird ones are the best, the seem more causual and less posed to me.
    The lighting is really good too, it's very complimentary and flattering.
    Where did you do these at anyway?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

MB1

I think they are all usable however they vary in quality (as you no doubt know). Good lighting and color in all of them.

The top image his head is turned just a tad too much so the tip of his nose exactly reaches his cheek. That plus his eyes showing white on only one side make this one end up looking "goofy". Your third image although you moved too far away and the pose with both of his hands reaching behind his body looking awkward has a much better head pose.

In #2 from the top the guy looks too intense, the same guy in #4 is almost a perfect casual portrait. The eyes in this one are great.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

I really like 3 & 4, the colors are so complimentary to your subjects. The first two are nice but the backgrounds aren't quite so complimentary. The first gentleman has a droopy right eyelid, I would have shot him from the other side so as not to play that up so much. Good shots, thanks for sharing!
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Hey, thanks for all the tips! Brian, this is the Jewett building on campus. It has amazing natural light with all of it's windows. MB1, I actually was not aware of all those things. But I'm asking you folks so that I can be aware of them next time. I am definitely a beginner and have a ton to learn. I really appreciate it when you guys go after the details I miss.

GB1

I find # 3 the most appealing. It has both character and some surroundings to place the person. The others are Ok too, just more headshot type shots. I guess it really depends on what you're using them for. Note that the DOF on all of them except # 3 is IMO too shallow, and or the focus is off or there was camera shake. Shallow DOF is normally something you want to do with models, but I believe you need more depth here.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information