Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Yashica + Velvia + Walmart =

Here is a scan of one of my Velvia images that I had processed at Walmart. The scanner at work isn't anything great, but it does give me something to play with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yashica + Velvia + Walmart =-pendarvis.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Yashica + Velvia + Walmart =

Nice! I wonder who does it for them. Good price, sleeved, uncut and in a cardboard tube sounds familiar from another place or two... Not a bad deal - I'd stick with it for a roll or two (but would have more trust for important stuff with Photo Craft in CO).

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Not a bad deal - I'd stick with it for a roll or two (but would have more trust for important stuff with Photo Craft in CO).
    I agree Steve. This was more of an experiment than anything. Both with the Yashica and the developing. If I'm in a pinch, I will use them again, but otherwise I will save up my film until I get a bunch and send it to Photo Craft.

From what I gathered in talking to the people at the store, is that they send it to a Fuji lab in Minnesota. I actually had the phone number to the lab a couple years ago, but I'm sure that is long gone.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    ...If I'm in a pinch, I will use them again, but otherwise I will save up my film until I get a bunch and send it to Photo Craft...
    Hmmm, that's not too reassuring about Walmart. Maybe I'll just drop off a roll of E-6 and a roll of C-41 to start. See how they come out. You didn't happen to get the price for C-41 did you?
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

Nice shot, Michael. One good thing about bigger negatives is that they put less demand on the scanner. I was able to get some pretty decent medium format scans from my old flatbed but it did poorly with 35mm.

I noticed this shot has a little bit of a red cast. Is the slide that way, or was it just the scan? I'd avoid using Walmart in the future if it's visible in the slide. I could be wrong, but I don't think Velvia 50 should be that warm.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Xia_Ke
    Hmmm, that's not too reassuring about Walmart. Maybe I'll just drop off a roll of E-6 and a roll of C-41 to start. See how they come out. You didn't happen to get the price for C-41 did you?

Don't get me wrong, they did a fine job on the film. I see nothing wrong with it. I will take film to them as long as it's nothing real important or if I want it back ASAP and don't want to spend $10 on shipping for a single roll.

If I go on vacation or take some special photos that I want to make sure get handled professionally, I will send them to Photo Craft.

I called them a month or so ago and asked about MF film, that's when they originally quoted me the $3.88/roll. I wonder if that's their C-41 price.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Nice shot, Michael. One good thing about bigger negatives is that they put less demand on the scanner. I was able to get some pretty decent medium format scans from my old flatbed but it did poorly with 35mm.

I noticed this shot has a little bit of a red cast. Is the slide that way, or was it just the scan? I'd avoid using Walmart in the future if it's visible in the slide. I could be wrong, but I don't think Velvia 50 should be that warm.

Paul
    Thanks Paul. The red cast is not on the film. It's a result of the scanning. Even the B&W film I scanned today had a red cast to it. I never thought I would have to turn a B&W film scan to monochrome to get it to look B&W.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information