Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Agriculture shots

Is there anything to either of these shots?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Agriculture shots-agriculture-2-sf.jpg   Agriculture shots-agriculture-1sf.jpg  

Re: Agriculture shots

i think too much sky in the second.

also i would bet that a great close up, looking upwards in b & w would have looked good.

(still as a noob what do i know ?)

:blush2: :blush2:

i like both a lot. i think there is too much jpg-compresson visible on the right one. i see both acting together, therefore the massive cloudy sky on the right one is fine in order to bring them to equal heights. seeing both as a group, i wonder if they should have the same width as well.
    anyway...well done.

Thanks, Engineer. I had a third but wasn't sure if I was overdoing the theme. Here is the other shot. I see it is a bit off kilter and may need to be straightened a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Agriculture shots-agriculture-3-sf.jpg  

i don't really see the third one good or special enough to be part of the group. to me the first two really have something special. they are a nice couple, don't need a third one

Fair enough... That's probably why it failed to meet the original posting.
    Mule

Any thoughts expressed here are expressly those of nobody important and shouldn't be taken too seriously

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I like the second and think the too much sky is a great rule breaker in this case.
    Not sure about the first but I'll porbably look at it a few more times.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

For what its worth the second shot came from late summer when an incredible cloud bank entered what had been almost a clear blue sky. I was driving to work and couldn't figure out how I could capture the image. It was too big for the lens. I was passing the grain bins when I figured I'd give it my best shot. This is the best I got. I need to figure out Photo Shop better so I can try to pull out some of the textures in the clouds to help carry it.
    Mule

Any thoughts expressed here are expressly those of nobody important and shouldn't be taken too seriously

GB1

I like the second. I think the big sky speaks about the vastness of the sky and the weather patterns. You could use this theme again vertically, showing the vastness and wide open space out there.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I think the first one needs darkened and the second on would work if there was a lot more detail in the sky and level the third. Nice thinking on the angles, the composition works well and with a little PPing they would be much stronger.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Just Lurking

I like the first two, but I'd like a little more contrast on the first. The lines on the left side of the image almost get washed out. I agree with Greg about having some more detail in the sky on the second. There's a hint of detail and a little more could be interesting.

Nice work.

PC

MB1

I am not sure the two work together but the both stand alone just fine.

I'm thinking you could crop the silo/steps image from the right to eliminate the edge shadow although it is fine as is. I love the second image with all that sky and the great earth tones at the bottom-the silos add perspective and have a lot of nice detail.

The third image you posted needs to be straightened, the sky is too grey and the whole thing too contrasty-I'd reshoot rather than try to fix this one.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Mule, these first two shots are excellent. i would not change anything. The last one posted could use a straightening and color correction. Seems too much gray in there as MB pointed out.
    I really like that second shot with the large area of sky. Very well done. There is enough texture there for me. It needs to be subtle. Looks like a painting. Great work!
    Last edited by gahspidy; 12-01-2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured photo. December 1, 2007
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

The second shot in particular is the result of a creative eye at work and I see a smashing large print mounted in black board here. You could indeed bring out more detail in the sky and it would work well but it would not make it any better than what you have shown here. Congratulations Mule on this composition and I just wish it was mine.
    The success of the first image is due to its simplicity but it just needed the eye to see it. I suspect it has suffered a little in downsizing for showing here but full size this I would imagine open up so well. It's lightness and lack of colour pays off so well.
    Of course had we seen the third one first we would be saying how good it also is, but the others are just hard acts to follow.
    Good man Mule.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Hi Mule,
    The first and second photos are excellent! Thanks for sharing.
    yoyo

Thread Information