Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Angry HELP!! HELP!!! Canon Powershot S410 or ELPH

I need HELP!!!!!!! 2 years ago I received a camera as a gift for my birthday. It was a sony DSC-P31. This was my FIRST EVER digital camera. As a matter of fact it was my VERY FIRST camera EVER!
    I used the camera mainly to take pictures of my daughter. As a first time Mom I took a picture everyday of her. The camera seemed to be fitting my needs just fine aside from the poor quality of the pictures I printed. ( From what I understand this was probably due to the 2.0 mega pixels the sony had)
    All of a sudden the usb connector I used that brought my pictures to the computer for printing and editing stopped working. I brought the camera in for repair where it was purchased from and it came back saying that the cost of the repair would exceed the value of the camera! Oh well......to make a long story short I tried to do some searching on line and reads lots of reviews and decided to purchase a new camera and the one I ended up with is the Canon power shot S410. I was SO EAGER to get this and start playing! I had camera withdrawal for weeks!
    I received the camera......now the nightmare begins................. I cannot take a good photo of my daughter with this camera! I keep it on auto because I have not a clue as to what half of the manual features are or do! All my pictures (8 out of 10) are blurry and not clear. I am in understanding this is to blame on my daughters movement but with the Sony camera I NEVER had a problem with motion of shaking???? From what I understood this canon is SUPERB compared to the little sony I had but I LIKED the pitures with the sony better!!! I only use my camera to take pictures of my 2 year old. I take them outside and I take them in the house. I usually don't like to use the flash because it makes my daughter look away from the camera. But darkness and lightness is not my issue I guess. What am I doing wrong!!! Did I get the WRONG camera for what I use it for??? Also there are two faded round dark circle spots that show in every picture. They are not noticeable unless its a really light background??? The lense is clean?? Its also brand new as mentioned.
    Before I go any further can anyone HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasminky
    I need HELP!!!!!!!...
    Post a sample photo with EXIF data.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Cool

The S410 shouldn't function any differently in full auto mode than the DSC-P31. Blurry pictures are most likely the result of too slow a shutter speed. Make sure the camera's ISO is set to Auto, rather than 50 or 100.

Shooting indoors you'll need to use the flash, or set the ISO higher if you choose to disable the flash (but higher ISO settings will result in grainier/noisier images).

Thread Information