Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Need advice on camera/lens combination

I'm in the market for a new Canon DSLR and have found myself with some interesting options. Looking for advice from the crowd on which way to go. I'm looking for a good setup for taking mostly family pictures. Probably will end up being a combination of indoor and outdoor, medium zoom. Just general all purpose camera. I won't be printing above 8x10, so I probably don't need a ton of resolution. My budget is around $1,000.

After alot of research, I had pretty much narrowed myself into an XTI w/ a 17-85mm IS lens. However, after talking to my father, I was given another option to take his hand me down D60 for free and spend the money on a better lens like an "L".

So my question is which option is better? Based on today's specs, the XTI seems to be alot more camera than the D60, but if I invest my money in better glass would that end up being a better overall solution. So with the right glass, how would a D60 stack up against an XTI these days? Where would the D60 fall short, and where could better glass compensate? Thoughts?

Options:
    1) Spend $1,000 on Rebel XTI + 17-85mm IS
    2) Spend $1,000 on Canon D60 (Free) + 24-70mm f/2.8 L (~$1,000)

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Re: Need advice on camera/lens combination

Boy, that is a hard one. I would say if you are just starting out and you can get a D60 for free and better glass, then maybe that is the way to go. I checked the specs on the D60 and it is only a 6.3 MP camera and the XTi is a 10.1 MP camera - don't know if that will make a difference for what you want to do. You will probably want to get a new camera in 6 months or a year anyway, if only for the improved technology being brought out. Then you will have a better camera and some good glass. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Go with the D60 & the 24-70mm f/2.8 L. The 24-70 is a lens I do not own but I would like to have one someday and you certainly cannot go wrong with judging by everything I've ever read about it. Another good starting lens might be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, while not an L lens it is an outstanding performer. Particularly indoors.
    Mark
    -------

Canon 40D & Rebel XT :thumbsup:
    http://musicman5.smugmug.com
    Blog
    Gear Photos
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Thanks for the advice guys. I think you've made me comfortable enough to give the D60 a shot and go with the better "L" glass. Sounds like it should perform more than adequately on the D60 and as I get more serious in the future I can always upgrade the body and still have a great lens. Thanks!
    Dave

Thread Information