Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Rookie

Just Had to Share

I took these yesterday evening. I just set it on Auto since I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks I live at the beach so I would like to hear how to get some great shots since we have awesome sunsets.

How about these

Last edited by Turkey_Lips; 11-17-2007 at 09:58 PM.
    CAMERA'S;
    K7, K100d, K1000
    LENSES:
    TAMRON 18-250/3.5-6.3 DI II
    TAMRON SP 17-50/2.8 Di II & AF 1.4X MC4 TC
    SIGMA EX 100-300/4 APO DG
    SIGMA EX 105/2.8 DG Macro
    SIGMA EX 10-20/4_5.6 DG
    D-BG4 Battery Grip
    Metz 58 AF-1 Flash
    CACTUS Wireless V4 Trigger
    Feisol CT-3441T CF Tripod & Photo Clam PC-33NS Head

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Re: Just Had to Share

I really like the first one..I love the way the palm is offset to the right.
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Welcome, i agree that #1 is the strongest because of it's simplicity. The lone tree offset from center and the tall grass dressing the shoreline. Cors in the sky are very good.
    #2 has alot of sky that isn't all that appealing. #3 has great sky, but the foreground has too much included and none that demand attetion as the main subject. I think including all of the tree on the right and excluding the bunch on the left would have made a stronger foreground.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 11-17-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. November 17, 2007.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I agree that the first is best. I would point a bit more to left and thus move the tree a little more to right.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

How to get some great shots? I don't know, sorry :-(

I'd pick the first photo as the best among all here. Why? It seems to look better. Why? It's subjective ;-)

OK, I'd compare the first photo with the rest.

The second one you shot from a different perspective and has something totally different from the rest of the group: vehicles. If you could shoot it at a slow shutter speed, you would get some car trail lights at the bottom of the photo. This could make the photo comes to live...sort of. Oh, the sky look different in that one, too.

The first photo and the rest of the group sans the second one have a similar perspective. What makes the first one stands out, I think, has something to do with composition. Some of the other ones have the trees in the wrong place in the photo and one contains uninteresting elements such as a silhouette of a sign on the beach. More of the black foreground in the bottom could be cropped out, too (1st vs 5th and 6th). If you think you want to showcase the sky, you likely want the viewers to look at the sky more. What to do? Show more of the sky :-)

Once again, it's subjective, at least to a certain extent.
    Last edited by AgingEyes; 11-18-2007 at 12:55 PM.

I would get rid of the tail lights and head lights in #2 or maybe clone out the cars (or crop them out).

Congrats on making Featured Photo. Well deserved, it is a fine photo.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

Thread Information