Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Rainy Night

Rainy Night

MB1

Re: Rainy Night

Nice colors, nice composition, too blurred.
    No, I DON'T need that.

I think that I would clone the white reflection just below the man. Other than that I really like it. Nice composition and subject. I think the blurring effect works.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I think I like this one Tuna, I wish the guy was more in focus like a pan shot. Other than that Ilike it.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

I like it, it has the feeling of an impressionist painting.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Another provocative image from Tuna! The blur and grain are just right for an impressionistic effect. It wouldn't work if the man or the background were sharp. The diagonal composition (sloping upwards left to right) is compositionally important too as are the greenish doors on the right thirds and the wet ground which allows some reflections.

I agree with Greg that cloning out the white spot might help, and I personally would shave just a tiny bit off the top (not much, just a smidgen). I also find myself wishing that there was a touch of red or green in there? It is virtually monochrome, and a little splash of colour would be nice.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

MB1

My feeling that the image is too blurred has more to do with the figure than the rest of the image so Tysons idea of panning would work for me.

The white spot doesn't bother me but I agree that a few reds or greens would be nice but most of the time a photographer just has to work with what there is (OTOH if Tuna had only thought to bring along and install a nice neon sign somewhere in there.....).
    No, I DON'T need that.

I think this is excellent. I am in the group that feels the blur works all around here. If the subject were sharp it would likely work as well but I think it would lose the impressionistic feel of the entire composition. .
    I agree about losing the white object/reflection in the fg as it does not offer anything but rather distract a bit.
    Fantastic colors
    Last edited by gahspidy; 10-06-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. October 6, 2007
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

More than just a rainy night here; more like doom and gloom with those miserable colours, some disappearing to black very effectively. Excellent.
    This could be John or even Trevor. Went straight to the pub from the office and did not ring home. Has missed the last bus and train and has to walk the long damp and miserable city streets of where ever. It's no more than he deserves; he's just been unfaithful to his wife of 5 years, mother of his two children aged 3 and 4. Mother in law lives with them. If he thinks that box of what looks like chocolates or maybe even his wife's favourite underwear, in his left hand is going to help his case well he has another thing coming and make no mistake about that.
    Now where was I.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Friends, thank you for your comments and critique. I will agree with the removal of the white thing. If you are still seeing it, simply hit the refresh button...

Tom, you have given this gentleman an impressive multilayered characterisation - quite an addition to the image...

This was taken in Florence, Italy. I saw this man hurrying along a narrow road and immediately began matching his pace and setting my camera - a slow shutter was necessary but the motion is mostly caused by having shot as I hurried along rather than stopping. I waited for him to come to an appropriate spot to shoot and managed two shots, with this one being the better. Though somewhat expected, the results we see here are mostly by chance...

Tuna
    Last edited by Tuna; 10-05-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Nice work on the edit Tuna and thanks for sharing your technique.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Tuna - Personally, I like the blurry effect. It works for me in that it creates (or reminds me of) a feeling of a person hurrying to get out of the rain or stumbling around in the dark, since rainy nights tend to be darker than normal. If I were to edit this, I think I might either crop out a little off the top or a little off the bottom, for somehow I don't think that the proportions of the street in the photo quite work (there's also not much information in the street, as it's so dark. But if you crop off some top area, it seems the composition works even with all that street).

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

A very well deserved sticky methinks! Not just because of the quality, but also because it inspires discussion and even disagreement - like it or not, it's hard to be neutral on this one. Well done tuna.

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

It's evocative, as almost all of your work is. It always inspires, and always makes me see things slightly differently. You're one of the few people whose images I look forward to, and you never disappoint. This is an image that I just want to keep looking at, to soak it in and to let my mind wander. I love it.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information