Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

herons at sunset

while not brilliant i hope witha crop and a little tweaking i am manging to better find compostion on some photos.

the foreground is dark i know, but the emphasis was on the herons returning to whereever they came from.

unfortunately i never got the chance to change lenses so it is what it is.

any suggestions would be greatfully received..

again i am still working wit hphotoshop so i can't lighten or darken or highlight.

good news gary ~ a cokin filter is on the horizon this week !!!!

i have found a couple of decent local places to look for some photo shoots..

we have a great little rail set up, and also believe it or not the entire "forbidden city" to 1/20 scale.

why in houston and why in katy where the locale is have no real clue.

apparently it is complete wit hterra cotta soldiers en masse.

hears hoping that weather works wonders.

meanwhile:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails herons at sunset-herons-sunset-la-jolla.jpg  

MB1

Re: herons at sunset

The horizon isn't level nor alas is the bit of the land at the bottom of the image. If you straighten the horizon you will mess up the land line unless you have already croped this and have more that you aren't showing.

If you don't have more image I would suggest leveling the horizon and cropping everything below the very top of the tree (removing the tree also). This would completly change the image but leave you with 3 interesting elements-the trees, the birds and just a bit of the horizon at the very bottom.
    No, I DON'T need that.

In this case, the fg being dark is a good thing! Silhouettes are great! My only problem with this image is that you have cropped off the fg too much. I would like to see a bit more so at least the peoples feet are not cut off.
    The two trees cutting the photo into three parts could have been a bad thing, but somehow i think it is ok here. It works for me. The herons flying through the sky, which was the whole point of your shot in the first place, adds an interesting element in their flying over the people on the walk.
    I like it, but want to see a little more foreground.
    If you do not have more fg in the original, MB1's suggestion could work to help get something more of this.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Like Gary and MB1 said.....straighten and add more fg if you have it. If not crop like MB said.
    Its really interesting watching people improve.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

If the land and the horizon won't both be level, you can always use the "skew" tool to make it so (giving it a bit more foreground). I would try cropping out the left, just to the right of the left hand tree - I am not sure it would be better, but putting my hand over the monitor here, it MIGHT be.

This is a nice photo, especially if viewed large.

Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

this is the original.

they were putting up a portable film screen i think it was the march of the penguins across from the hotel.

i figured that all the people made it too "busy" but perhaps someone could suggest an alternative crop.

thanks again for all of your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails herons at sunset-herons-sunset-ii.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by threelions usa
    this is the original.

they were putting up a portable film screen i think it was the march of the penguins across from the hotel.

i figured that all the people made it too "busy" but perhaps someone could suggest an alternative crop.

thanks again for all of your help
    What do you think of this crop????

I leveled the horizon and cropped out most of the people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails herons at sunset-herons-sunset-ii-cropped.jpg  
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

i prefer your crop to mine.

thanks

as for leveling the horizon ~ i am still trying to come to grips with PS.

the little tool i tried had me looking at something like the titanic sinking !!

:blush2: :blush2:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I had the same problem with the little tool.......click 'image' on top and there is a straighten up there that works better.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

cheers frog.

i don't feel QUITE so embarrassed now, but i must have tried a dozen times on another picture and only moved it a little bit (or so i thought) and WHOA !!..

maybe that IS what happened to the titanic ~ the captain used the straightening tool a little bit TOO much...

GB1

I like freygr's straightening, but I think I prefer the first shot in regards to exposure and cropping better. I like how there's very little foreground showing, it allows the people and stuff to be just out of sight enough to be mysterious.

Overall, a very nice sunset capture. The birds cutting across really work here!

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information