Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Curtain Call (honestly)

I have been sitting on this image for almost a year now; never been happy with the PS treatment and the final result. It was a shot that had to be taken quickly and exposure was always going to be the problem resulting in much fiddling with levels etc.
    Today I made up my mind to try and to get something sorted out on it so I now pass it over to my colleagues here for your analysis and critique.
    Many Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curtain Call (honestly)-imgp1283.jpg  
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Re: Curtain Call (honestly)

Grade,,,,,,,,,,,A+ with a star!

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

featured and sticky!!

I see nothing wrong with this. What a slendid shot and from personaly trying this inside shooting out pictures, hats off to you for such beautiful shot. Well done Tom.....
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Tom, this really is a gem you have been holding on to for so long. The lighting and mood of the image is strong. colors here working magic as well. i will point out one thing that bothers me a bit and that is that the edge of the planter or pot in the fg is laying on the edge of the step or shadow line outside. Had it been above or below a bit, the image would be that much stronger, but aside from that little nitpik i think you have a beautiful image here.
    Bravo
    Last edited by gahspidy; 09-01-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Sticking as featured photo. August 26th 2007
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Tyson Engineer and Gary; Thank you so much for positive words on this.
    Gary; Your observation is spot on and it is a very valid crit indeed. Space is really needed between the step and the incense burner to make this work better. I am so glad you enjoy this image anyway.
    Thanks to those responsible for making it a sticky. Much appreciated.

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

congrats...theres so much here..color and texture and depth. I would like to see a larger version in gallery for the detail.
    Please ask to edit photos and I'll do the same! :thumbsup:
    Thx, Rod
    http://krimingerphotography.printroom.com

Congratulations, Tom! I especially like the glowing red.
    yoyo

Just another pat on the back from me. This is really nice, would be great to see it BIG.

Tom,

Been on the road for a few days but sure glad I got to see this image. Very nicely done; congratulations on the Feature.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Congrats Tom. Well deserved....
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Tom

Just back from 4 days sailing and coming back to this image is terrific and congrats on the sticky.

The only nitpic I have is the same as Gary's

Nicely done

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Tom~

I just got back from the annual summer road trip and find this! What a beautiful, beautiful shot. I just love it and am glad to see you got the sticky to boot! :thumbsup:
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

JK, Yoyo, Payn, CF, Greg, Roge and Cl; Thanks so much for saying nice things about this. You're a great bunch here.
    Tom

that is a marvelously interesting photo . . . it gives me so much to think about . . . i love it (well, i love red, for one thing . . . and . . . the contrasts just really please me) - photo-mom

I can only add one more BRAVO!! There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been mentioned. Well done.
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

This is top notch! How can you not possibly be happy with it? Composition, perfect. Lighting, Perfect. Colours, Perfect.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

How surprised but extremely pleased I was to wake up to this this morning; a sticky and featured photograph.
    I'm so thankful to those who decide these things and also to all the kind people who have left such supporting comments.
    Thank you all so much.
    Tom

Tom,
    Way to go on the sticky.
    The way the curtains fold back and the view of the resulting scene really strikes me.
    John

GB1

I has a very elegant look to it, but I do detect something about it that looks artificial. The reds appear enhanced and lack some detail maybe... perhaps it's supposed to be like that however? Also, is this sort of like an optical illusion? There's something funny about the geometry.

I think PS etc can help a shot in many situations but used too much and it is detectable. But I'm not very good with it myself, so it usually is.

Congrats on the sticky btw!

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Hey where was I when this masterpiece was revealed?

Beautiful and stunning.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Astonishing!

John S, GB1,Leels and sbrigby
    I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come back and thank you for your comments.
    GB; nothing artificial here. I cannot remember whether I upped any saturation here (I dont think I did) but I did have to play with levels around the darker parts of the image.

The red headed step child jgredline's Avatar

Great work...It was nice to read everyones comments..
    Can you put up a before and after pic?
    εὐχαριστέω σύ
    αποκαλυπτεται γαρ οργη θεου απ ουρανου επι πασαν ασεβειαν και αδικιαν ανθρωπων των την αληθειαν εν αδικια κατεχοντων
    διοτι το γνωστον του θεου φανερον εστιν εν αυτοις ο γαρ θεος αυτοις εφανερωσεν
    τα γαρ αορατα αυτου απο κτισεως κοσμου τοις ποιημασιν νοουμενα καθοραται η τε αιδιος αυτου δυναμις και θειοτης εις το ειναι αυτους αναπολογητους

Incredible. It is pictures like these that make me feel like I have so much more to learn. Thanks for the inspiration. The things that struck me first: the light underneath the planter inside the room and the reds.
    Michelle
    Mom, Wife, Safety Consultant and true photography beginner.

Thread Information