Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

MTB/Bike shooters

BLS, jorge etc...

whats my next lens (granted I am giving up another bike for this)

I have the kit lens(18-55mm
    a canon 50mm f/1.8
    a canon 55-200mm usm f/4.5

budget, under 1k (used is cool?)

Or, do you think investing in a 580ex? so i can slave my 430ex is a better step in my getting better photos?

http://desmo13.exposuremanager.com/

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: MTB/Bike shooters

Which lenses do you have currently? When I'm out, my main rig is the Sigma 70-200 F2.8, second body with either a 28-70 F2.8, or more recently I've been sporting my 12-24 F4, but I've found I gotta get REALLY close to the riders with that one.

Flashwise I prefer to use natural light, but I'll rig up my SB-800 to my pocket wizards. Before I got the wizards though, I'd run my SB800 on camera, and using it to trigger another flash as fill.

Of course it all depends on which bike you're giving up. I passed up a chance to buy a downhill bike a few years ago, and now I'm celebrating my 2nd anniversary because of it
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

I mainly shoot close (downhill, etc) with my 18-55mm
    the bike I will be giving up is a AM/FR type rig. something to fill gap between my XC race bike, and my DH bike

If you saw it, you didn't get it. tadrscin's Avatar

Ouch! Giving up a bike for a lens is just rough. I've actually put off building up my fourth bike to buy some more camera goodies. I've found myself using my 28-75 for most of my mtn bike shots. If you're willing to spend up to $1k I would suggest the Canon 24-70 f2.8L. New it's ~ $1140, but you might be able to find a used one which I would suspect would be under $1k. Otherwise I'm prettty happy with my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 which was around $400. If you can justify spending the $$$ on Canon L glass then I'd go for it. Otherwise you could get both the Tamron 28-75 & the 17-50 f2.8 new for under $1k. I just got the 17-50 so I haven't had a chance to shoot anything with it yet. I do want to try some jumping shots with my 70-200 now that I'm getting some wireless flash gear. I sucked it up and ordered the EL-Skyports and I bought 2 used Nikon SB-24s off of ebay. Combined with some free light stands from work and I'm all set. Now if I can just find some time to shoot
    Ray
    --
    I race down mountains on a bike and I take photographs, but never both at the same time :nono:

Feel free to edit any of my photos as long as you explain in detail what you did.

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    Flashes, Radio Poppers, etc.
    My Gallery
    My Life

I went to the stobist site. now more confused than ever.

I was under the impression, a 550 speedlight, would master my 430ex slave. Do I need pocketwizards or other remote devices? sheesh.

I don't know about the 550, but the 580 will. JimmyB has been playing with it, but I'm not sure how successful he's been. The thing you have to remember is that it works on line of site so you have to plan accordingly. The beauty is that you still get ETTL that way. With radio triggers you don't need a line of site, but you loose ETTL. I'll post a report on the Skyports once I get them. From what I've read they are just as reliable as the Pocket Wizards, but they have a few less features like not being able to fire a remote camera. On the plus side they're 1/2 the cost of Pocket Wizards unless you can find sone of the original PW Plus models. I couldn't find them anywhere so I don't even know how much they cost. The Plus IIs are $190 each and you'd need 1 for the camera and 1 for each flash. I got 1 Skyport transmitter and 2 recievers for $289. I bought them from B&H so if they're unreliable I won't have a problem returning them.
    Ray
    --
    I race down mountains on a bike and I take photographs, but never both at the same time :nono:

Feel free to edit any of my photos as long as you explain in detail what you did.

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    My Gallery
    My Life

The one - The only

Sorry, don't know how I missed this thread yesterday

So, you have a XC bike and DH bike already. You're thinking of either adding a third to the stable or you want to add glass to your gear list? You still cruising the Yakuza for the DH rig? I think I would sit on what you have for now as far as bikes go. They are both very nice and deserve to have the rubber ridden off of them.

Camera gear...that's a complete different story. As far as what to get, I think we need some more information to best give an answer. You say you have the following glass:
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 55-200 f4.5

And you have a Canon 430EX for a flash right?

So where do you want to take your photography? You've already got a good range of glass and a nice flash. Are you looking for longer glass, faster glass, "high end" glass, etc? Are you looking to be able to do remote work? Do you want specialized glass (fish eye)?

I'll post up the gear I own and describe what I use it for/how often I use it.

Canon 1D MKIIN - Everything. it's my only body right now. I'm deciding to wait and see what's coming of the 1D MKIII or a possible full frame body as a second.

Canon 300 f2.8 L IS USM - Surf generally, but I've used it for MTB stuff before. Super heavy and expensive. Good for more conventional sports like baseball, soccer, football, hockey, etc.

Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM - MTB stuff, portraits, lifestyle stuff, this lens offers such a diverse range for usage it's unbelievable. This lens is used at least 50% time I go out and is probably the most used glass I have.

Canon 50 f1.8 - What can I say? Everyone should own the "nifty fifty". It's dirt cheap and with the crop factor offers a nice focal range for portraits, scenics, general stuff. I rarely use this glass...in fact I think I've only used it for a couple of weddings.

Canon 16-35 f2.8 L USM - Gotta love this glass so long as you get a newer version and it's sharp. A nice alternative to this if you don't need the extra stop of light is the far less expensive Canon 17-40 f4 L. I use this for MTB, skateboard, ski, snowboard, wide-angle, lifestyle, and even portrait stuff (hope they don't mind you in that close). At 16mm you get a great look to the image. I use this almost as much as I use my 70-200.

Canon 15mm f2.8 USM Fisheye - well overused by many photogs out there. I love this glass...I love it so much the AF on mine is broken so I use it M only now all the time. I'd rather keep it in my bag in it's current condition than be without it while it gets repaired. Perfect for MTB, skate, ski, snowboard, lifestyle, portraits, etc. All around great stuff. Far less expensive than it's "L" bigger brother (14mm f2.8).

Canon 580EX - Use it for all my on camera flash work...which equals not much. But, it's ETTL capabilities are great, power great, etc. It's the only canon flash I own. Use it some for remote work, but you need a paramount cable or another similar type connector to get it to work with PW's.

Nikon SB-24 - Older flash I use for remote work only. Great power, drains batteries like nothing I've ever owned before, works well on a Quantum battery pack, dirt cheap so if it breaks I won't :cryin:. 100% remote work.

Quantum T5D-r and Turbo 2x2 - remote stuff until I can afford or decide to get the QTTL adapter. Super powerful to provide that extra bit of help overpowering ambient light. Love it but damn expensive.

Quantum QB1+ Battery Pack - just sold one and debating selling the other. Love them, small compact, lots of juice, work great with 580EX and SB-24. Only reason to sell this is to get another T5D-r and turbo 2x2.

Pocket Wizards - remote work. I have one Multimax for delayed triggering, 2nd curtain sync, more sophisticated stuff, one Plus II, and two Plus I receivers. Use them for remote camera work too.

Sekonic L358 Light Meter For remote work this thing is a god. Super fast for lighting ratios, can use the PW transmitter module to trigger remotes.

So here's the conclusion to my long winded answer:

I would really think about what you need rather than what you want. You could easily get a nice remote setup for that kind of scrill. Three PW II's, you already have the 430EX, and get another cheaper flash (Nikon SB series, Vivitar 283/285/285HS, etc), and some cheap light weight lightstands (cheap so when someone crashes into them you don't :cryin:, light weight so you can drag them and your gear up the hill without dying).

If you were to go for glass, I would pick up a used Canon 70-200 f2.8 L USM non-IS. Sell/trade the Canon 55-200 f4.5 for a Canon 15mm f2.8 fish (new or used).

Hope this helped!:thumbsup:
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Hey Dave,

Let me know if you're serious about selling the quantum QB1 & battery. I've looked around and at least new they seem a bit expensive. Or do you where I might find a deal on some used ones? I've looked on ebay and craigslist and didnt' see anything. I don't like the idea of keeping Duracell in business all by myself

Oh and you can NEVER have too many bikes
    Ray
    --

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    My Gallery
    My Life

The one - The only

Sure. I'll PM you if I decide to sell it. I echo what you say about too many bikes...so long as you ride what you have really hard - especially if you want/need camera gear.
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Thanks. I ride all 3 hard, but the XC bike is sometimes neglected. Of course not as neglected as the yet to builtup DJ frame that's been hanging in the garage all Summer Either way it's always "want" for me rather than "need" for both. Here's my current stable: http://tinyurl.com/yphre2
    Ray
    --

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    My Gallery
    My Life

A good lens would be a 24-70 F2.8 I got mine for under a G from B&H refurb unit, no complaints.
    From what little playing I have done with 2 flashes I do like the results, they were non bike shots. The 580 is the master and the 430 was the slave.
    I would get rid of the XC race bike keep the AM/FR bike and ride it.
    Bike list:
    gt hrdtl
    trek liquid20/55
    trek session 77 = Lemon( at least mine is,trek is working with me) grenaded the 4th freewheel last night
    Jimmy

The one - The only

Outside the box....I like it Jimmy. I've always wanted to use the 24-70 I've heard it's nice glass. I think that's next on my list. The Canon slave stuff is good until you get outdoors then the connectivity/range is not so good.
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

I think what I am looking forward to accomplishing with my photos is:

Interesting depth of field shots, mainly DH/freeride stuff. Back from the action. crisp shots.wide angle.

This may help... this is the site that got me wanting to take pictures.

http://www.flipper.co.za/gallery/Champery_2007/

(oh, and my bike list...

IronHorse Yakuxa Kumicho
    Santa Cruz superlight
    Cannondale r500 roadie
    Kona Dew
    Classic Bianchi full rigid mtb from 1989
    My cannondale 2.0 from racing highschool/college being converted slowy to a singlespeed/fixie.

Well now I see your problem... you've got not one, but 2 road bikes!!! Sell the road bikes and buy more camera gear! The answer is just so simple I must commend you on at least 2 of your bike choices :thumbsup:
    Last edited by tadrscin; 08-18-2007 at 04:37 PM.
    Ray
    --

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    My Gallery
    My Life

Quote Originally Posted by BLS439
    Canon 16-35 f2.8 L USM - Gotta love this glass so long as you get a newer version and it's sharp. A nice alternative to this if you don't need the extra stop of light is the far less expensive Canon 17-40 f4 L. I use this for MTB, skateboard, ski, snowboard, wide-angle, lifestyle, and even portrait stuff (hope they don't mind you in that close). At 16mm you get a great look to the image. I use this almost as much as I use my 70-200.

Canon 15mm f2.8 USM Fisheye - well overused by many photogs out there. I love this glass...I love it so much the AF on mine is broken so I use it M only now all the time. I'd rather keep it in my bag in it's current condition than be without it while it gets repaired. Perfect for MTB, skate, ski, snowboard, lifestyle, portraits, etc. All around great stuff. Far less expensive than it's "L" bigger brother (14mm f2.8).
    I'm going to 2nd these 2 lenses , While I don't have them ( they are on my Wish list ) , I always Find my Self wishing I had shorter glass, and I don't find the 18-55 Kit lens to be that Crisp, so I find my self using my 28-80 promaster.

Quote Originally Posted by tadrscin
    Well now I see your problem... you've got not one, but 2 road bikes!!! Sell the road bikes and buy more camera gear! The answer is just so simple I must commend you on at least 2 of our bike choices :thumbsup:

Bite your Tounge!!! Roadies kick ass !

My Bike list

2003 Raleigh Professional
    1988 Trek 1500 ( converted to TRi/TT)
    1984 Schwinn Tourer now a Fixed Gear .
    2003 Giant AC1
    2004 Specilized FSR XC Pro Disk
    1999 Specilized Stumpjumper FS comp
    1991 Gary Fisher Marin ( now a Single Speed)
    1987 Burley Rock And Roll Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by splats
    Bite your Tounge!!! Roadies kick ass !
    As a former roadie of 15 years, I must respectively disagree. Downhillers & Freeriders kick ass
    Ray
    --

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    My Gallery
    My Life

Quote Originally Posted by tadrscin
    As a former roadie of 15 years, I must respectively disagree. Downhillers & Freeriders kick ass
    got you By 10 years Been doing the road thing for 25 years , and the Mt bike for 20 , my first 3 Mt Bikes were ridgids because we did n't have ANY suspention. ( specilized Stumpjumper , Fat Chance and a GT ) Love the Mt Bike , just built my 10 year old up a Giant ac1 ( how many 10 year olds have a Full bore Free ride bike? ) simply Put if It has 2 wheels and is pedaled I'll ride it.

But As for taking Pictures , roadie are boring , Taking shots of free rideres is where it is at.

Back on topic. here are a couple of pics I took last summer with my P&S , so they are nto the best , be what they are is more important .

Last Summer I had the privledge to lead a ride for John Ker , head Photographer for Mountain Bike Action Magazine. and before that Several Surfer Rags, I learned a few things from him that day . and on top of that he was an incedibly nice guy. he was using a 5D , Dual Remote Flashes ( I was one of the grips , which made it dificult for me to shoot photos ) and had multitude of lenes.

John is in Blue , I'm Holding one for the remote flashes as is the guy in Yellow he and I had the flases for all the photos I'll post here.

even the simple things like a trail side repair are photo worthy . again I'm holding the flash , as is the guy right behind John.

Here Notice where the 2 flases are , I have one and the guy in yellow.

this last shots is bad , however , this shot ( of his not mine ) was used in the magazine

The one - The only

Um, I'd swear that's he's holding a Canon transmitter thingy in his left hand on the off camera cord. Strange. Thanks for the set up shots though...it's always nice to see what others are or aren't doing.
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Here is my brush with a photographer.. Jamie, he freelances for Bike Bag, Powder etc.

Doing a story on rideSFO. it will be in the November issue.

Nice flash huh, want to haul that up and down the mountain during a DH race?

splats PLEASE !!!! don't get Tad going on Roadies I have been there and done that
    I do want to again try my 17-40 F-4 in the future. The NW woods are pretty dark and I didn't really want to use my flash(s) for what I was trying to accomplish. I do understand that in the woods I have to use some flash.
    Shooting close with the wide angle you have to trust the riders, Tadrscin is one of those riders that I can trust! It's just a matter of being in the same spot with Him.
    Splats I left one off my list
    Bianchi touring bike with down tube shifters.
    It only gets ridden on my rollers.
    Jimmy B

A couple with the 17-40 f/4.
    Disclaimer I don't like these pictures. The rider is Evil Bob.
    First one no flash
    Second with flash
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MTB/Bike shooters-img_4034_2.jpg   MTB/Bike shooters-img_4044_2.jpg  

OK so I got my Skyports today and played around with them a little during lunch at work. So far they seem very good. I got 2 cables from Flashzebra to connect the skyport receivers to my SB-24s since the only cables included are for elinchrom strobes and flashes that use the miniphone plug. They seem do have good range as far as I could test. Indoors I was able to go ~75' away and they fired the flash every time. This was down a hallway around 2 corners so I thought that was quite good. Outdoors I got about 150' away which was about as far as I could get without having needing someone else to see if the flash fired. I wasn't able to test them outdoors at any real distance where I didn't have a line of sight since I did this by myself. At about 50' I had to pull up one of the antennas and by 100' I had to pull up both. The antennas aren't the sturdiest so you want to be careful with them. In most cases you'd probably be close enough to leave them both at the side so they'd be protected better. Now I just have to find some time to do some shooting with them.
    Ray
    --

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    My Gallery
    My Life

Neat!

Quote Originally Posted by splats
    Last Summer I had the privledge to lead a ride for John Ker , head Photographer for Mountain Bike Action Magazine.
    That's cool! John is awesome. He's the nicest guy ever and a very influential mountain bike photographer. And I know he sneaks onto the site every once in a while. I don't believe he feels the need to own a 1D, either
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information