Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Gary Fong Difusers?

So I've been doing a little research, and I've come across all sorts of pictures, before and after, but I'm still skeptical. Are the Gary Fong difusers and Omni Lights all they are really cracked up to be? Are they really worth the $50 in order to reduce shadows and get "studio-esque" lighting? Any advice is helpful...
    art is what you can get away with.

<br>- andy warhol

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by petefontaine15
    Are the Gary Fong difusers and Omni Lights all they are really cracked up to be?...
    In the crazy world of studio lighting and light modifiers, the price you pay for an item and its value are all relative.

To me, $50 for a piece of studio gear that would really help my shooting is nothing. But I understand, for some (if not most) that's a hefty chunk of change...

Bottom line, GF's attachments can vastly improve the lighting in your shots. OTOH, they are made from very inexpensive materials and then marked up a lot.

So, it's a matter of convenience. Could you jerry-rig the items yourself from household materials? Of course.

It is worth the hassle to save money? Only you can answer that...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Gary Fong Difusers?

I had been looking at the Gary Fong lightsphere too for some time but just never pulled the trigger on it. I did run across this site where a guy made one himself. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14117352

Also a site I think worth checking out is www.abetterbouncecard.com for the price of that set up (.79 for the foam and 2.99 for a bike tube - it was worth a shot) the results are pretty pleasing also.
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

I bought it on ebay for 20 bux. There are a few vendors sell it under different names. One of the best $20 I ever spent. I was hesitant for 2 years,but the price was too good to pass. Now,it's always on my flash.

I had just done a very simple test with the Gary Fong LightSphere(cloud) and the 580EX ll speedlite. I posted the results in a thread about flash diffusers in the Help Forum.
    So, if anyone is interested in seeing some results of the GF LightSphere diffuser you can have a look at the thread
    What about Flash diffusers
    The Lightsphere is basically tupperware but really convenient and easy to use with good results.
    As Steve said you can rig some of these things up yourself for alot less money. For me, it was worth the 40.00
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

This past week I also purchased the GF LightSphere (cloud). I also ordered the 430 flash for my camera.

James

I've got this as well, don't use it much tho.

Here's the thing, Yes, you could somehow attach a tupperware container to your flash, but how professional does it look? If you are not charging clients, no big deal, but if someone is paying you and you show up with a leftover container on your camera, it looks amatuer.

Yes, what really matters is the end result, but if people don't see you as a professional, they aren't going to treat you as one.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    I've got this as well, don't use it much tho.

Here's the thing, Yes, you could somehow attach a tupperware container to your flash, but how professional does it look? If you are not charging clients, no big deal, but if someone is paying you and you show up with a leftover container on your camera, it looks amatuer.

Yes, what really matters is the end result, but if people don't see you as a professional, they aren't going to treat you as one.
    Well, to us it may look like tupperware, but I don't think the average person who is having you take their photos is wondering what your doing with tupperware on the flash head. If anything , I think they would be impressed at this "weird contraption" I have seen a few photogs use these at events and I personally never even thought about it looking like tupperware. My first impression was "thats's interesting, looks like it would get good results" This was before I even knew what GaryFong Diffusers were.

gary

no, I was referring to real tupperware taped onto your flash. Like an actual leftover container. I'm all for the fongsphere. $50 to me is worth investing if it gives you a more professional appearance.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Quote Originally Posted by adina
    no, I was referring to real tupperware taped onto your flash. Like an actual leftover container. I'm all for the fongsphere. $50 to me is worth investing if it gives you a more professional appearance.
    LOL, OK, sorry I miss understood you. Yes, I agree with that. some home made contraptions are fine and as you say produce the result in the end, but to walk into a photoshoot with an actual piece of tupperware held on by rubber bands or whatever would be quite absurd. However, I think you would have all your subjects smiling big time in the shots, if thats what you wanted. lol.

But you know whats funny, if you were an already well established name in the industry like Annie Leibowitz, you could walk in with a jock strap stretched over the lights and everyone would just chalk that up to your genius.

gary

Thread Information