ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Vintage War Bird B-17

We had this pretty lady at the Aurora Airport and they were offering rides, but way outside my budget... She was coming in for a landing when I shot this..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage War Bird B-17-b-17-small.jpg  

Re: Vintage War Bird B-17

What, it's ONLY $400 a 1/2 hour or hour :
    That particular bird and another make their rounds here every year, this one I beleive is the one that will be here for the week of the Mt Comfort aka Indy Airshow later this month. The other being the all silver one which was here for a week last month giving rides. About every hour and a half she was taking off. I am kind of used to seeing these B-17's and others as they tend to migrate here a lot heading off to different airshows. We have several WWII birds that stay here year round, mostly fighters and one Goony Bird, but I imagine it was surprise to see that in your neck of the ocean!.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

A piece of history that seems to be getting less important with the passing of every generation. My Grandfather was a pilot/engineer on one of those. It was called the J's Joker, I have never seen a picture of it.

Great capture, many a man spent his last hours of life inside a plane like that. So much we take for granted.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

JS, I hadn't seen one of these in years, and to be lucky enough to be able to walk around it and actually look at a pristine piece of history really close up was a real thrill...

I am in Oregon at present, giving care to an elderly mother, not on Raiatea where my family is. But I think that the trip she made out to the Pacific North West was her first... They flew her all day and had a full load of people each time.. Many of them were WWII vets, or the kids of those vets who wanted to see what exactly their fathers experienced in a sense aboard that aircraft... Yep, $400 dollars is a good downpayment on that 70-200 VR lens for my D70s and My D200....

I'd be hard pressed to not spend the $400 if I was there. I love those birds and being around the history. I saw one flying formation with an F-14 a while ago. Never being up close to a B-17 before I didn't realize how small it is; the F-14 is only 13 feet shorter than the B-17.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

I think this one and the silver unpainted one are the only two left flying now. Somewhere I have a photo of the silver one and a P51 flying together at the airshow. That was an interesting shot to say the least.
    I know whenever the B17 or B24's are here they draw a huge crowd and lots of passengers, even at $400 a pop. And your right , many of the passengers are WWII Vets who want one last ride in one of those old birds.
    I used to read every book on these old bombers, and although many were lost, and many crewmembers didn't return, just as many owed their lives to these planes that managed to return to base even though they were all shot up. One photo sticks in my mind and thats one B17 that had the entire nose blown off by flak as well as the wings and tail full of holes and it still made it back to England. I knew one man who flew on them in WWII and he credits the aircraft for bring him back on several occasions when they didn't think it would make it.
    I too thought they would be much larger, and was surprised how small they are.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

As I drove past Mt Comfort Airport today I noticed several warbirds. One was a B24 that recently arrived and there was a Goony bird as well as two or three I couldn't make out from my location.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Hey JS, I for one am hoping that you are gonna shoot some of these sweethearts and post 'em here....... Arent'cha???

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Nice shot!
    I saw the silver B-17G (Sentimental Journey) in May '07 on the California coast (Half moon bay) airshow. It was my first time.I was amazed how many vets were at the show.It was a wonderful day.Nice to see this one in action.I agree with Tyson...Never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by maheanuu
    Hey JS, I for one am hoping that you are gonna shoot some of these sweethearts and post 'em here....... Arent'cha???
    Yeah, but probably not till Monday. We have had some horrible weather here heat wise and I am sick....I better be OK Saturday as I have to shoot the race at Kentucky Speedway and it will be in the 90's there too. Today makes day # 9 at 90 or above and the humidity is extremely high as well. Anyway I hope to get out Monday to shoot the warbirds at the airport. They won't be going anywhere soon as the airshow is the 25th and 26th I think.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Well I never had a chance to get to the airport went past it a bunch of times, just no time to stop and shoot some photos.
    There is a bright side however as the paper called today and asked me to shoot the Indy Airshow this weekend :thumbsup: so I'll have plenty of time to shoot the old and newer warbirds From the preliminary list I have seen there will be a lot of old warbirds there and the Blue Angels will be performing again so there will be a large crowd as they draw bigger crowds here than the Thunderbirds do.
    Ao maybe Sunday night or on Monday I'll have some photos.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Nice shot. I go every year to our local air museum when they have a flyin and bring these beauties in, just never bothered bringing along a camera. The B-17, P-38, P-47, P-51 (all variants) and the old PBY Catalina are my favorite planes from that era. I still have a standing offer to fly with the B-17 courtesy of my mom, one day I'll take her up on the offer.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

The flyboys are on the way! Earlier I heard (on the scanner) a helo coming into the airport for the airshow and just now I had two jets fly over the house enroute to the airport. My house is just close enough that I am inside the 3 mile limit of the airport and the aircraft do come over the house during their manuvers :thumbsup: The fun begins tomorrow in a way as I have to go pick up my passes for the shows Then Friday is media day. They are calling for tain Saturday, but no biggy as Sunday is supposed to bright clear.... and somewhat cooler!

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    The flyboys are on the way! Earlier I heard (on the scanner) a helo coming into the airport for the airshow and just now I had two jets fly over the house enroute to the airport. My house is just close enough that I am inside the 3 mile limit of the airport and the aircraft do come over the house during their manuvers :thumbsup: The fun begins tomorrow in a way as I have to go pick up my passes for the shows Then Friday is media day. They are calling for tain Saturday, but no biggy as Sunday is supposed to bright clear.... and somewhat cooler!

JS
    Hey JS,

That looks like the B-17 named "Nine O Nine".

Hope you get the chance to go to the airhsow and get some good shots. This will be the first year in quite a while I haven't made it to an airshow so I'm going through withdrawls!

I'll be looking for you photos!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by I_Fly
    Hey JS,

That looks like the B-17 named "Nine O Nine".

Hope you get the chance to go to the airhsow and get some good shots. This will be the first year in quite a while I haven't made it to an airshow so I'm going through withdrawls!

I'll be looking for you photos!
    I just got back from the airport after getting my credentials, as I was getting them the Blue Angels were practicing. During their manuvers they fly over the house at tree top level and freaked out the dog and cat. But since I didn't react surprised they are OK with it
    Anyway I'll be going on Media day too which is tomorrow. Cool all three days at the show!

BTW, thats not my photo below of the B17. I guess we have a B17, B24 and B25 at the show this year.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Geez, I'm getting senile in my old age. Sorry for giving you credit and not maheanuu.

I'm still looking for photos from your airshow adventure though!
    Troy

www.troybates.com
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Here is one of the Blue Angels as they flew over my house today during practice for the air show.

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage War Bird B-17-js072395.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information