Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Irish Rosary - A studio Macro... no idea if this sucks.

I never do studio work, especially macro work, so I thought I'd try it.

I am not expecting this to be interesting, well composed, or anything. As far as I know, this is a horrible picture =D

Anyways, here she is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Irish Rosary - A studio Macro... no idea if this sucks.-macro.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 07-05-2004 at 08:48 AM. Reason: UnSticking from Featured Photo...
    A good craftsman never blames his tools.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

You Know...

For a first studio attempt, this is a good effort.

I like this photo, it has some good things going for it.
    Your arrnagement works well, it creates balance with the beads and the cross, and their colors. The lighting is good and even too.
    The only negative thing is the ring, I am not sure if it seems ouut of place, or it's lack of sharpness or what..

Keep at it. You might consider posting it in the Studio Forum too, you might get some other tips there that you might not get here..

Keep at it!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I generally like it, but it seems overly dominated by the shamrock beads at the expense of the cross. Also, the out of foucs ring takes away from its impact - at least in my opinion,

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Dempsey
    I never do studio work, especially macro work, so I thought I'd try it.

I am not expecting this to be interesting, well composed, or anything. As far as I know, this is a horrible picture =D

Anyways, here she is:

I like your photo too! I agree with the poster about the ring but I think it is because the ring is silver there are more touches of gold used in the other items. Maybe a gold ring?

Betty
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

Wow Sean,

I've never ever in my 50 years seen an Irish Rosary Beads (I take it that is what it is), thanks for adding that to the list of interesting things I have seen. I really mean this too.

For a first go, it is pretty well done, I would like to have seen the complete set though and I too think the ring is probably a little out of place, unless there is a subliminal message in the photo, like, broken marriage or something.

What is the significance of the ring ?

I'd probably take the ring out. It's out of focus because the depth of field is so small in a macro shot. Good to try something new!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Wow Sean,

I've never ever in my 50 years seen an Irish Rosary Beads (I take it that is what it is), thanks for adding that to the list of interesting things I have seen. I really mean this too.

For a first go, it is pretty well done, I would like to have seen the complete set though and I too think the ring is probably a little out of place, unless there is a subliminal message in the photo, like, broken marriage or something.

What is the significance of the ring ?

Just noting the same thing, I have never seen Irish Rosary Beads either....it is nice to see new things.

Betty
    "When you aim for perfection you discover it is a moving target".

- George Fisher -

I like the photo a lot. My thoughts are on the same avenue as Betty. I wonder if you would consider changing the ring to gold in ps? I tried it by changing the ring to gold, and sharpening just the ring a bit and found it brought the composition together nicely.
    Lara

Will I might try and reshoot it then, sans ring. I put the ring in because it was the only other "artsy" thing I had in my house to take a picture of. I was using the 550ex in my hand, holding it at different angles and stuff, so not sure how that played with the dof and apertures...

If I redo it, I'll use the suggestions given and repost, thanks!

Here is an updated shot with some of the suggestions incorporated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Irish Rosary - A studio Macro... no idea if this sucks.-rosary2.jpg  

Crystal Clear
    Wow, that picture is incredible now. Nice man!

Thread Information