Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    drg

Sigma SD14 - Bee & Flower

The Sigma SD14 test camera arrived Monday and I've have started to make photographs. This was one of the first 100 images I made with the camera with a 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 lens. This is cropped, but not sharpened beyond the AUTO parameters of ADOBE Lightroom for the Sigma RAW conversion.

High noon (severe clear/not great light) wind and I just fired off a few shots on Program mode to see what I'd get. I'm still shooting for color and exposure to see how this unit responds.

CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Sigma SD14 - Bee & Flower

Thanks for posting this example. I understand that it's cropped and not sharpened in post processing, but I'm surprised that the hairs on the flower aren't sharper. In program mode, the shutter speed had to have been fairly high.

Please post more in the future with this equipment. Thanks again.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

drg

Re: Sigma SD14 - Bee & Flower

The shutter speed was 1/200th. There was a fair amount of wind moving everything including the bee!

I am still shooting for color primarily (this was one of the first 100 shots I made with the camera).

Sigmas are notorious for needing LOTS of PostProcessing sharpening! I'll tweak a version of this up later along with a few others just for the Nature forum.

Check out the corn flower image also posted in the gallery of Sigma images. Now that one is sharp for having nothing done to it. I didn't post it here as other than at full size it doesn't work real well as a photo. This is another primarily color test shot, but I got a fly too!

Here's the link for the SD14 gallery, which I also posted in the viewfinder forum.

http://gallery.photographyreview.com...ASigma+SD14%7C
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thread Information