Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park

I visited the Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park in Florida recently. http://www.floridastateparks.org/hom...gs/default.cfm

It's a little know treasure with some native Floridian species I haven't seen before. Here are a few of my favorite pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park-gator.jpg   Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park-panther.jpg   Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park-swan.jpg  

Re: Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park

All beautiful shots, the first and third are my favourites.

yes agreed - very nice shots - 3rd is my favorite - the swan would be great if the reflection of the head wasn't cut off .....
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

That first one is wonderful. Curious - are they fed those lizards or did it find it on its own? Either way it's a great shot.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    That first one is wonderful. Curious - are they fed those lizards or did it find it on its own? Either way it's a great shot.
    Oh, he caught it. It was a native lizard (brown anole) and I saw him/her catch it. He was more interested in catching it, I think, than eating it...

Great shot, all. Number 1 is also my favorite due to it being more than just a portrait. The tonal range on the swan is awesome.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Very impressive, I love the blue-billed duck and of course my favorites is the cat. Thanks for the info on the park, going to check it out in case I ever get to Florida again.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Obviously the crested caracara and fulvous whistling duck are cool birds, but the best is the CRITICALLY ENDANGERED florida panther image!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

That first one is beautiful!! :thumbsup: Great job on all the shots!
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Smile Re: Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park

How did you get the Florida panther? :thumbsup: I have been roaming around the Canadian Rockies for decades and have seen just about every bit of large wildlife there is to see -- moose, deer, elk, bears (black and grizzly), bighorn sheep, mountain goats, etc., but I have never seen a cat in the wild. I know they are there, because in the winter time you can see their tracks in the snow. If this was in the wild, then IMHO you are one lucky person. Cats are usually shy and if you do get to see one out here, it is probably stalking you (yikes) :blush2: Great images all of them!!

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Another vote for the cat. Wonderful creature. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    How did you get the Florida panther? :thumbsup: I have been roaming around the Canadian Rockies for decades and have seen just about every bit of large wildlife there is to see -- moose, deer, elk, bears (black and grizzly), bighorn sheep, mountain goats, etc., but I have never seen a cat in the wild. I know they are there, because in the winter time you can see their tracks in the snow. If this was in the wild, then IMHO you are one lucky person. Cats are usually shy and if you do get to see one out here, it is probably stalking you (yikes) :blush2: Great images all of them!!

Cheers,

WesternGuy
    I've never seen one in the wild, either. The closest I've seen is a bobcat. I have seen mountain goats and elk in the Rockies, but no bighorn sheet yet.

The Homosassa park is much like a zoo. Some of it is pretty much free range and you'll see various birds, fish, and reptiles. This particular shot was of a panther in a naturalized habitat.

I seen one near the ft myers airport and one just outside corkscrew. Both were long gone by the time I stopped
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Question Re: Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park

Lava lamp, when you say it is much like a zoo, do you walk through it or is it a place where you can drive through and the animals are in some form simulated natural habitat? Years ago, I'm talking many years ago, there was a place in Ontario called something like African Safari Park (not sure of the exact name - it was privately owned) but you could drive through in your car (for a fee) and various types of African animals were roaming free in various natural areas. Of course it wasn't exactly like a safari, because you were protected from the larger and more dangerous ones (elephants, hippos, etc.) by heavy fences. You had to stay in your car at all times - the cats and monkeys, etc. roamed free (in separate areas).

Just curious, thanks.

WesternGuy

Congrats on the Featured Photo LL , every one of these could have been a FP
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

The caracara was better quality, but an endangered jungle cat was saweet!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Quote Originally Posted by WesternGuy
    Lava lamp, when you say it is much like a zoo, do you walk through it or is it a place where you can drive through and the animals are in some form simulated natural habitat? Years ago, I'm talking many years ago, there was a place in Ontario called something like African Safari Park (not sure of the exact name - it was privately owned) but you could drive through in your car (for a fee) and various types of African animals were roaming free in various natural areas. Of course it wasn't exactly like a safari, because you were protected from the larger and more dangerous ones (elephants, hippos, etc.) by heavy fences. You had to stay in your car at all times - the cats and monkeys, etc. roamed free (in separate areas).

Just curious, thanks.

WesternGuy
    The park used to be a private zoo, I think, until the state bought it. You get to the park via a 20 minute pontoon boat ride along an unmanaged creek, where you probably see some turtles, herons, anhingas, an osprey, and maybe some wood ducks. Once you get there, the animals are in a fairly natural environment, but closed off by fences or cages in some instances. There is an underwater viewing area that shows views of the Crystal River and its native (untamed) wildlife and you can see manatees, etc. in the same river.
    Last edited by Lava Lamp; 08-07-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Thread Information