Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Georgia Aquarium, Part Two

The whale shark was so big I couldn't fit it all in the frame...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Georgia Aquarium, Part Two-rays.jpg   Georgia Aquarium, Part Two-whale.jpg   Georgia Aquarium, Part Two-tankcopy.jpg  

Re: Georgia Aquarium, Part Two

Good,clean shots LL the 1st and 3rd are my choice for keepers, while the 2nd is not bad but it seems a bit tight and busy. The color,composition and clarity/sharpness of the 1st is very appealing. There is a beautiful simplicity to it.
    The third reminds me of a shot I have of my son at the aquarium. A bit of flash against the subject in front of a bright, colorful tank. Looks like she is standing in front of a "StarGate"
    nice work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

LL.....I agree with Gary as to the best choices. #1 has great symetry.
    John

No 1 is indeed lovely and the 'girls' have nice smiles on their faces. There is a nice silent and peaceful feel to it with the water completely undisturbed.
    The girls pose in the third shot is very rigid as if she is taking instructions. I feel that a better shot is lurking there somewhere. Again colours are great.
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I agree with Gary. The first one is really great. Very peaceful shot. I live about an hours drive from the aquarium but have yet to visit it. I guess you can tell me your set up so when I go they will be no guess work. Great pictures.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'll agree about first and third being best. Maybe you can do a pano of the whale shark..kiddding.
    I like the pose of the girl and it doesn't seem rigid to me but we all have different taste.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

GB1

That first shot is awesome. I really like the shape of the ray (?). My only wish was that he and his companion were a different color so that they'd stand out better against the blue background! Maybe with a little PPing you could adjust it.

The second shot is OK but is also very blue. The shark is interesting. Glad I'm looking at him from here.

The bottom shot is also very good. Too bad there's not a shark or something coming in nosing the glass though
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for all the comments. I, too, really like the shot of the rays. I didn't realize they smiled like that. I cropped it a little to getter bet them in balanced positions.

I don't think the second photo is very good, but wanted to include it for those of you who may be interested in the aquarium. I think it is the only US facility that houses whale sharks and they are a sight to behold. They get to 17 feet or more in lengh, as I understand and eat only very small creatures, so they are harmless to man -- except by accident. The aquarium has had two whale sharks die when they stopped eating for reasons unknown, but still has three more and a commitment to keeping them.

The last photo was unposed. I kinda like it.

All of the photos were taken with a Nikon D200 and 105mm f/2 lens set at f/2 and ISO 800. The 105mm worked okay for the main tank, but next time I would take something wider. As I mentioned in my other post, the place was severaly overcrowded, so I would strongly recommend going off-peak if you can figure out when that is...

I like the one of the bat rays the best. The Whale Shark is cool though. It is a dream of mine to scuba dive with one someday. They are huge, but not dangerous.
    My kids think I have one big round eye and a light on my head!

Thread Information