Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

In a Window, Version 2

I went back to this one this morning. In the last picture the Angels eyes were behind the window frame. I shoot this from a slightly different angle and then used a little PS work to straighten the window frame as best I could. I think I may crop it just above the window ledge and it would be level all the way around. I may enter this one in the Polk County contest. It does have some meaning to it. What do you think?
    Greg

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: In a Window, Version 2

Hi Greg .. this is much, much better - the figures are much more distinct (and even a little spooky!). I think you could still tweak the straightening a little - not much though. For instance, the bottom sill is just the tiniest bit higher on the right. Apart from that though, I like it!

Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Yup! I like this one better, also. The face isn't cut into and you have better sky reflection.
    First one was a little straighter.
    Looks like very near same vantage...did the figure get moved to show more?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Frog. I shot from slightly right of center. This left the window leaning. I made it right with a technique Roger showed me a few weeks ago. Thanks again Roger. But it took a couple of PS transform tricks to get it this far.
    Mike, I have played with the sill some and have posted an edit in my gallery. Thanks as well for the critique. I may not be done playing with it.

I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Greg, this is really very good. The reflections of the outside sky are clear enough to believe it is on the other side of the window. Great placement of the subject in the panes.
    Have you tried eliminating the bricks around the window in any crops? I feel like the scene does not need the brickwork framing the window here. I have tried a crop eliminating the bricks with only the panes and the bottom sill at the bottom frame. The picture really becomes a very intriguing illusion. Also, a slight levels boost could improve.
    Very nice work,Greg.
    Last edited by gahspidy; 07-01-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Sticking as featured photo July 1, 2007
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Gary, My wife has been suggesting all weekend to crop the bricks. She helps me a lot once I get the picture in PPing. She has the artistic eye of the two of us. I really did nothing to the reflection but remove a couple of power poles. I have another version with the reflecton in color as well. Thanks for the feature too.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Way to go, Greg. Congratulations on the sticky

GB1

G - Congrats on the sticky. Very geometric. I like the things in the window ... they seem to add a lot of character. The only thing I dont like it that there's a heck of a lot of negative space. Nice lens btw - no distortion.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Greg,

What a terrific shot. I like the bricks, it really adds to the overall impression of the photo. Great capture, congratulations on the sticky; much deserved.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Greg, this is really very good. The reflections of the outside sky are clear enough to believe it is on the other side of the window. Great placement of the subject in the panes.
    Have you tried eliminating the bricks around the window in any crops? I feel like the scene does not need the brickwork framing the window here. I have tried a crop eliminating the bricks with only the panes and the bottom sill at the bottom frame. The picture really becomes a very intriguing illusion. Also, a slight levels boost could improve.
    Very nice work,Greg.
    Feel free to post an edit if you like.

Sony a99/a7R

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Congratulations on the sticky Greg!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Greg, this is sort of what I see with this picture. I think it is still very good just as you presented it. Your determination and persistence in going back to get the best shot you can of a picture you know is there for the taking pays off in the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails In a Window, Version 2-inawindowedit2-1.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary. The crop works well.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

congrats greg...I think your version adds some of the architectural feel to it with less emphasis on the figures...Garys crop is nice , it becomes a completley differnt pic for me. Very clean, concise, direct. It does lose some of the top clouds which i liked in your crop. I think they added to the reflection dimension in your crop. Anyway, congrats!

I've looked at this a few times now and it completely reminded me of something but, exactly what escaped me. Until today that is. This totally reminds me of something out of a Tim Burton film, like Nightmare Before Christmas or something. It's spooky yet almost comical at the same time. Very interesting capture Gary. I really like it. Congrats on the sticky

Aaron
    Aaron Lehoux * flickr
    Please do not edit my photos, thank you.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Very Nice Greg,
    Yes, Image 2 is improved. For some reason I keep looking "into" to the sky.Very dynamic.
    The depth is endless.Everything about this has a presence.
    Congrats on the featured photo sticky.Well deserved.

Rick

Thread Information