Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Breaking out another Old Timer

Yesterday my nephew had a 10 AM Little League game. I decided to try something a little different with my equipment. Since going auto focus and digital as well I haven't had any of my manual lenses out of the camera cabinet. Saturday however I wanted to do some pictures form beyond the center field fence. I had plenty of light so I broke out a 30 year old lens. I put 300mm Vivitar f5 prime on the D2h and coupled it with an equally as old manual 2x converter. I don't think I had used either one in 10 or 12 years. The results were not great but worth post just to get some feed back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_7827-2-640.jpg   Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_7904-2-640.jpg   Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_7907-2-640.jpg   Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_7910-2-640.jpg   Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_7889-2-640.jpg  

Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Breaking out another Old Timer

Ok I also had the D200 with me fitted with the 80-200 f2.8 with a 1.4x converter. The difference on these are they are with the 10mp camera and I have cropped fairly heavily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_3586-2-640.jpg   Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_3588-2-640.jpg   Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_3596-2-640.jpg   Breaking out another Old Timer-dsc_3648-2-640.jpg  

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

quite the difference in lenses, that's for sure. I like the heavy crops more.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    quite the difference in lenses, that's for sure. I like the heavy crops more.
    I agree. But you know what an 80-200mm f2.8 cost, I think I gave under $100 for the Vivitar 300mm f5 in the late 70's or early 80's and probably not more than $30 for the 2x. Little difference it the cost for the two setups.

Nikon Samurai #13

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

wow. and back then everything was still being made by hand too.

Great bat on ball pics OT. I for sure can see the difference in equipment, but the oldy did pretty well. And the price. WOW!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Not many of us can remember prices like that. When I spent a hundred dollars back then I had to really want something and plan for a long time. Because it was an f5 and I was shooting mostly ISO 100 to 400 film it never got a lot of use, especially when you coupled it with the 2x and lost a couple of more stops. I really had forgotten I had it and just kind of stumbled across it and decided to see how it held up today.

Nikon Samurai #13

Not bad for gear thats been sitting around all those years. Great timing .....at least you still have the reflexes :

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thanks JS. I just wanted to play with something different. Nothing on the line so why not?

Nikon Samurai #13

Shoot Larry, those are great, no matter how heavy the crop. And congrats on the sticky.
    I haven't shot sports in a while, and I'm anxious to get out and get back in the game.

Thanks for the look and the comment John. I like trying different angles and techniques. Last Saturday morning was just a relaxed time to do some of that. I was surprised by this sticky but I had really liked that shot a lot even if it was a pretty heavy crop. Glad to see others appreciated it too.

Nikon Samurai #13

WARNING Takes Random Pictures MonkeyWrench's Avatar

Congrats on the Sticky Larry,

I agree that it was the best in the series. It was a classic look and you captured it great.

Thanks Russ. the more I look at that one the more I agree. Love the way all three are watching the flight of the ball.

Nikon Samurai #13

Thread Information