Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Early Morning Hamble

This was taken after the mist lifted in the early morning on the Hamble from the marina where my boat is kept.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early Morning Hamble-_mg_0210_2.jpg  
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Nikon AND Canon!

Re: Early Morning Hamble

IMHO (which may be wrong) this could have used a "Cyanotype" monochrome or maybe a bluer color tone. It just looks a little too yellow/tan and reminds me of a cloudy & muggy afternoon more than a morning post-mist.

Coloring aside, the picture is great. I have a thing for sailboats.

Wow, All of the sailboats in the world and I still don't own one. I like a lot of sky in my shots and I also love sailboats so you know I love this one. I really don't see anything that I don't like about this one. Well done Roger.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Looks great, great choice of shots. I like the look of the lighting. Do you have any more from this area?

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Very nice indeed Roger. The overall pale colour works a treat and that little bit of dry land provides a nice contrasting break. One of your best I feel
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Hickeroar
    IMHO (which may be wrong) this could have used a "Cyanotype" monochrome or maybe a bluer color tone. It just looks a little too yellow/tan and reminds me of a cloudy & muggy afternoon more than a morning post-mist.

I know what you mean, about the light but this was taken at 08:34, here is the EXIF:
    File Name _MG_0210.CR2
    Camera Model Canon EOS 5D
    Shooting Date/Time 14/04/2007 08:34:03
    Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/50
    Av( Aperture Value ) 22.0
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation 0
    ISO Speed 100
    Lens EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    Focal Length 70.0 mm
    Image Size 4368x2912
    Image Quality RAW
    Flash Off
    White Balance Mode Auto
    AF Mode One-Shot AF
    Picture Style Standard
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Wow, All of the sailboats in the world and I still don't own one. I like a lot of sky in my shots and I also love sailboats so you know I love this one. I really don't see anything that I don't like about this one. Well done Roger.
    Greg,

I have now owned boats since 1984 and you really don't want the cost. Get very friendly with an idiot like me and go out with him/her, its much cheaper: :lol:

I knew I would get an unbiased review from you

Call me when you get to the UK, try not to make it in the winter:thumbsup:

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    Looks great, great choice of shots. I like the look of the lighting. Do you have any more from this area?
    Now you shouldn't have asked that question:hand: You're going to regret this

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Overbeyond
    Very nice indeed Roger. The overall pale colour works a treat and that little bit of dry land provides a nice contrasting break. One of your best I feel
    Tom
    Tom,

Thank you - I am considering getting this printed as a canvas after the boss saw the result. I have played around with making it into a watercolour as well. Once I'm happy I'll post the result for critique.

I have tested an A4 print and its looking good.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

What is that thing on the jetta?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Very nice ..it has an infinite sail boat thing about it...wandering out into the geat white abyss

Quote Originally Posted by Hickeroar

I will try Cyanotype tonight and see what its like. Haven't done that before.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    What is that thing on the jetta?
    Are we talking about my BBQ?

Its a rusting platform from called a 'battleship mast' was originally installed as one end of a 'boom defense' for the river Hamble. The 'boom' was made up of ships moored together across the river during WWI.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Quote Originally Posted by jkriminger
    Very nice ..it has an infinite sail boat thing about it...wandering out into the geat white abyss
    Thanks for looking and commenting.

I like your take on the ethos of the photo.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

WOW! Indeed!
    And you are green with envy about my photographs?!
    I'd love to take shots like this of land and seascapes!!!

Alison, Now how do I get my head out through the door. From you that is a real compliment and I am sure you wouldn't have a problem with this.

I love my 5D and lenses, they are fabulous and I think I am up to speed with all the features. Its now just practice to make sure all the shots come out right.

Composing is so much easier than my Pro 1

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Did you get anything before the mist cleared?
    Was it a low lying mist with just the masts sticking through it wo we have to imagine the boats?
    There's a lot of potential here I think !

BTW did you dodge the treeline on the left?
    The sky looks lighter around the trees then gets darker in the top left quadrant.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Did you get anything before the mist cleared?
    Was it a low lying mist with just the masts sticking through it wo we have to imagine the boats?
    There's a lot of potential here I think !

BTW did you dodge the treeline on the left?
    The sky looks lighter around the trees then gets darker in the top left quadrant.
    Paul,

No it was that all over sort of mist when I got up, but I was to busy getting the boat ready to leave for photo's at that time. If it was what you described then you'd have a copy to view, the boat would have waited.

I will be keeping my eye out for other opportunities here.

Well spotted but the dodging was for the battleship mast and the patch of ground. Must be more careful with the size of the brush in future. That patch of sky in the original is quite dark in that area.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Are we talking about my BBQ?

Its a rusting platform from called a 'battleship mast' was originally installed as one end of a 'boom defense' for the river Hamble. The 'boom' was made up of ships moored together across the river during WWI.

Roger

I was thinking BBQ.

Sony a99/a7R

Roger, this is a fine image and sets off a pleasing mood. I really like the composition and frame-up here. The many sailboats with their masts standing tall as if they were alive. I do agree that adding a bit of blue to the mid or highlight tones (the equivelant of using a cooling filter) may improve upon the tone, but this is still very good as it is.
    I'm just curious, I see you have taken this shot at 1/50 with a 70 mm focal range. Assuming this was hand held, that would be risky in losing a sharp shot. I would probably have come down to f16 to speed up the shutter, and still be sure of good dof.
    Nonetheless, you came away with a fine picture.
    Good work
    Last edited by gahspidy; 04-30-2007 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. April 22, 2007
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Congratulations on the sticky, Roger. It was a deserving shot.

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Roger, this is a fine image and sets off a pleasing mood. I really like the composition and frame-up here. The many sailboats with their masts standing tall as if they were alive. I do agree that adding a bit of blue to the mid or highlight tones (the equivelant of using a cooling filter) may improve upon the tone, but this is still very good as it is.
    I'm just curious, I see you have taken this shot at 1/50 with a 70 mm focal range. Assuming this was hand held, that would be risky in losing a sharp shot. I would probably have come down to f16 to speed up the shutter, and still be sure of good dof.
    Nonetheless, you came away with a fine picture.
    Good work
    Gary,

Thanks - bowled over as I thought there were a few items that needed tidying up, never expected a sticky for this.

I agree about the blue filter and the area Paul highlighted. Haven't had time to go back to this yet. Hope to get time in the next few days to tidy up before sending for a print on canvas which my wife wants for the lounge.

I have to laugh at the comment on getting more speed, because I'm standing on a floating pontoon. I needed it as a few of them came out with camera motion because of waves. I need to remember that even at ISO 1600 there is very little noise on the 5D.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

John,

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Roger, Congrats on the feature this is certainly a beautiful scene and well worthy. One day I hope to take to up on the ride.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Well deserved Roger. It's where it should be; at the top of the table.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information