Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Old truck

GB1

Old truck

with model. Not sure if it's too busy: seems the model is lost in the background. Comments?

Fuji Reala

-GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old truck-debbrown_mar5_07_roll5_shot32_px640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Old truck

Not too busy. I can find the model... now wheres the truck? *giggle* She looks like a good wholesome coutry girl doing some yard work after a tornado.

The colour feels like it needs to be punched up a bit. The desaturated feel of the shot makes the background feel busier than it is. With more colour the model and the truck would pop more. Also a little bit of shadow/highlights adjustment to reduce the shadow on her back and face under the hat brim would punch it upo a bit more. Lastly the hydro wires in the center of the fram are kind of a minor distraction and I would clone them out IMHO.

I find the shot to be believeable and enjoyable.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

There's a truck?
    Jay pretty much nailed it. Nice composition, GB.

put a nice cowhide shade of cowboy boots on her..

Ok I did a quick edit with my suggestions.

Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

GB1

Guys, thks for the comments but I think you're being too nice. I still have a hard time with the shot myself... there's just too much going on. I've tried various crops, desaturating some of the shot (but never tried more saturation), etc. I just can't seem to get out of it what I want. I do like the additional saturation from a punch perspective, but I think it slightly takes away from the country feeling (seems most county back woods areas are faded.. some of them anyway).

Jaedon, we were shooting for that wholesome look. Too bad about the shadows, but we shot this in almost broad daylight.. Think it would have been better in late afternoon. Jkriminger you're right, it would have been even better with cowboy boots John, as mentioned above, this composition was a challenge. I tried to isolate her with a wide aperature but it only partially worked (was shooting wide angle).

Thks again for commenting.
    GB

My Site

I like it with the brighter color best. The brightness of the green on the truck and the blue in her pants really makes the foreground the focal point. With the middletone color it all blends together leaving the busy look.

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Griggs
    I like it with the brighter color best. The brightness of the green on the truck and the blue in her pants really makes the foreground the focal point. With the middletone color it all blends together leaving the busy look.
    Thks for commening Griggs. I agree that it's too busy. I think it has it's strong pts (the model), but that the junk all over the place and the time of day we shot at really limited it's effectiveness. I still have a few shots of her left to post, will do that soon.

GB

My Site

Thread Information