Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: White Sands

GB1

White Sands

Shot this yesterday in White Sands NM. I think I should have waited for the sun to go behind the clouds a little more, or used a grad. ND filter. The wind was kicking up a nasty sand shower... hope it didnt damage my equipment.

The shot might need a little masking to bring out more detail in the sand?

Nikon D200

gb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Sands-dsc_0121_640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I hate intrusive advertising! Bye PR HowLowCanYaGo's Avatar

Re: White Sands

Is it me or is the sand discolored? Anywho, yes, the shot probably would have been ten times better if you'd have waited on the sun to move a bit. Other than that, it isn't bad.
    HLCYG no longer visits this forum

I think the sky is beautifull, but the sun drains the colour from the rest of the shot! I agree with HowLowCanYaGo, it would have possibly looked better with a slightly less strong glare from the sun! Good picture though!

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Shot this yesterday in White Sands NM. I think I should have waited for the sun to go behind the clouds a little more, or used a grad. ND filter.
    Definitely.

The wind was kicking up a nasty sand shower... hope it didnt damage my equipment.
    The shot might need a little masking to bring out more detail in the sand?
    Nikon D200
    gb
    Excuse me? When did you go digital? I thought you would be a film guy for life?
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

GB,

Its that shark again.

As for this the sun is definately spoiling this photo.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

GB1

HLCYG, the sand does seem discolored but I think that might be a common thing. The blue sky will affect the color of the sand (I have tons of shots of White Sands from different times of the day, and many have this). Sad I couldn't wait any more.. I think I stood there for 5-10 min waiting for the clouds to move over but it just wasn't happening fast enough, so I just took it and moved on.

pympster, Thx for reviewing, I should have used a graduated filter. I tried lowering the contrast in PS but all that did was make the shot dull and boring. Argg. There's just no cure for a poorly-timed shot!

Cindy - I finally joined the 21st century and got a digital SLR. I was taking my time doing so because film did everything I needed (at the time), but when I shoot in certain situations I really need my results faster. I *still* use my film cameras btw -- I shot a few 35mm and 645 rolls on this trip also. It will be interesting when I get the film back and compare them against the digitals. I think that in certain situations that I will still use film for awhile.

Now I have to dig into the details of digital photography.

Roger, I think I'll play with this some more and see if I can recover more detail around the sand.

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information