Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

Canon Sensor Failure?

Has anyone else experienced this? This week, our Canon Powershot A540 began taking very dark pictures, and then on Saturday, the view through the lens went completely dark. If the SD card contains a photo, it will display correctly on the LCD screen, but when in "camera" mode, there is no picture whatsoever. The screen is black, but the menu, and other display items will show up. Does this sound like the sensor is gone? Should that not be warranted? We got the camera last June, so it is less than one year old? Who do I contact? And How?
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Re: Canon Sensor Failure?

Since there were over 100 views, but not a single post to this question, I can only assume that not only did no one know the answer, or have any similar experiences, but that no one was really interested, either. Ergo, as punishement, I thought I should bore you with the resolution to my problem.

Yes, it was a failed sensor, and the camera was still under warranty. I simply had to pay for shipping to Canon, and they repaired it and paid to ship it back. Now, for the really interesting coincidence...

The same week this happened, I discovered the sensor had failed in my Canon digital video camera, as well. But in this case, my son found on line that there was a sort of "recall" on several models that had used defective sensors, and they would be repaired free of charge, regardless of warranty. We could have shipped it to Canon just as we did the A540. But if it had turned out to not be the defective sensor, they would have charged for the repair, since it was nearly 5 year old.

Enter Mack... I had purchaed a 5 year warranty with Mack, meaning they would pay for the repair if it were not covered by the recall. But, as is their standard practice, I had to ship the camera to them, and pre-pay the return shipping, on the order of $20-25. Perhaps a minor point, but if the problem was a recalled, defective sensor, I would not have had to pay the return shipping had I sent it directly to Canon.

Oh, well... c'est la vie...
    tink ewe belly mooch

I invite your casual attention to my family Photo Site

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

You're having the kind of experience with cameras that I've had with my computers.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Sensor failure is pretty uncommon for the Canon's, although some older video cameras used Sony sensors they do have failure problems. Glad to hear that both Canon and Mack took care of you though.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Not yet had a sensor failure and only just spotted your post so can't help.

My 1999 Fuji 4700 is still going strong and outlived 2 laptops
    My 2002 Pro 1 still going strong outlived 1 laptop

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information