Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: She's Fast

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Cool She's Fast

The train was pullin hard from a stop back about 300 yards.It's only 4 cars,today it's almost empty.She's fast. #920
    Image 1. Mountain View,ca.Santa Cruz mtns. in background.

I shot this on a bridge through a chain link security fence. Image 2. Lower left the fence shows.The tight crop was the lense at the fence.I left it as is. I had the 50mm pushed. No other options.

The engineer (920) saw me as he approached, wound it up even higher.Note the exhaust heat.

The third image is a full perspective view with the train stop. Now here is a different train (900) traveling in reverse + no head lights.

You can see the chain link fence in the upper corners,this one I cloned the sky to mask the fence.

Almost had a holga effect as some of the images are framed by the fence.Comments on that.I like holga effect stuff.
    Interested in your thoughts.Ways to improve.ect. If possible.
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails She's Fast-train1s.jpg   She's Fast-train_filtereds.jpg   She's Fast-rollin-reverse-perspective.s.jpg  
    Last edited by starriderrick; 03-18-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Re: She's Fast

I like them Rick, but something looks strange, In a good way though. They almost look like HDR's or something. Nice work shooting thru the fence, great composition, well captured.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

They almost look like HDR's or something.
    Laughing

:O) Greg.
    I was experimenting with Neat Image NR.

I like the subject but... It's My opinion that these are way too contrasty, oversharpened.Or is it like a bizarre 3D effect gone wrong?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.I can take it.Really.
    I was experimenting...again.That's my excuse!
    Rick

GB1

They do seem like HDR, esp the top shot.

Rick, you're title is telling us something that your photo should be. You didn't get any, or hardly any, blur of the train to show its speed - argggggg. Ok, tiny mistake. You can correct on your next train shot.
    gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the shout gb Yep,I thought about that alot... "I felt" she's fast.The rumble <- would have been o.k. :O).

I now know what I did.I had the camera on Full matrix metering /Auto mode, it sensed the trains closing speed,distance in a razor fast nano second.Hence no blur.I should have been in S priority.
    I'll go back , do it right. It's close. She's fast
    With regards,
    Rick

Thread Information