GE digital cameras made their debut at PMA 2007. The new cameras have the GE brand and are made by a new company, General Imaging. General Imaging has an excellent pedigree. The Chairman and CEO, Hiroshi Komiya, is a previous president of Olympus. Takeyoshi Kawano, who designed the Sony Walkman, Sony VAIO computer line, and the Olympus Stylus cameras is the company's chief designer. Attention to design in the GE digital cameras is obvious.

GE Digital Cameras

General Imaging has also made a statement by including as standard, features that are usually seen only on advanced digital cameras. The minimum resolution on GE digital camera is 7 megapixels and image stabilization, high ISO sensitivity, redeye-removal, and in-camera panoramic stitching are included in the whole line.

I was excited when I read about the high level of standard features. Of course, we'll have to wait and see how well the GE cameras really perform. I made the mistake of assuming that "image stabilization" meant optical image stabilization, when I read their intial press release. At the show, I discovered that only the top level X1 has optical image stabilization. The other cameras only have digital image stabilization, which usually means higher ISO and a faster shutter speed, and results in noisy images. Still, General Imaging is making a big statement and I'm excited to see how the cameras actually perform. I hope to get a camera in the hands of one of our pro reviewers as soon as possible.

General Imaging GE Digital Cameras Press Release >>

GE G1 Digital Camera

GE G1 Digital Camera

GE X1 Digital Camera

GE P1 Photo Printer