ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Trying large format on a budget

I have been wanting to try LF photography for a while now, but I don't want to spend a bunch of $, because I know I won't do a lot of it. I have been thinking of buying an old 4x5 Graflex Speed Grapic press camera. From what I have seen, I can get a functioning camera, and everything I need (except film) for around $200 on ebay, maybe less.

Does anyone have an opinion about going this route to dabble in LF photography? If nothing else, I would end up with a vintage camea to display.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Trying large format on a budget

I have that type of camera, with a butch of stuff which I have never used. The view camera was fun, but I never was really good because I didn't get sufficient practice with the camera before wife sold it (without my knowledge). I still have the cut film hangers for developing, but I never developed color cut film.

As long as the belows doesn't have any light leaks and the shutter works and is close to the marked times you can get good photos. I have a photo of the Royal Gorge Bridge, the whole cliff to cliff view, and you can tell the makes of the cars on the bridge and count the people by gender (almost).
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information