Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: mayflower gulch

mayflower gulch

This is a shot i got during an survival class i took earlier this winter. believe it or not, we had 2 1/2 feet of snow in september. we got to ski down right after i took this.
    I took it with my pentax zx-7 35mm and developed myself.
    I think it's a strong image, but i'm always looking for advice

Re: mayflower gulch

I can't believe no ones commented on this!

Very nice contrast and sharpness of the image.

Did you have a red filter on your camera when shot? The sky is very dramatic.

Wow, Nice composition and exposer. I like where you placed the top of the mountain range and the small hill in the foreground gives the image more strength.
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

I agree with the other assessments of this beautiful image. I would also add that you have capture the full tonal range here from deep black to brite white. And let me also add that I think that the b&w was a perfect choice for this image. But then I am firmly planted in the old school. Very nicely done.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Love the exposure, Love the contrast, it sure looks like you used a red filter. The only thing it lacks is a foreground subject, that would really complete this shot.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

wow, i was wondering what everyone thought after some time of no comments. I thank you all. and no, i didn't have a filter on the camera. it was just the PERFECT time of day and up at 12 500 feet, the sky gets much deeper and darker.
    why do you think it's a RED filter? i've never understood how the color filters effect a B-W photo.

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

wow that looks amazing nice detail on the mountains and niuce sky for the background i really like this

Jay
    J.Curreri

Quote Originally Posted by ZL4life
    wow, i was wondering what everyone thought after some time of no comments. I thank you all. and no, i didn't have a filter on the camera. it was just the PERFECT time of day and up at 12 500 feet, the sky gets much deeper and darker.
    why do you think it's a RED filter? i've never understood how the color filters effect a B-W photo.
    A red filter will enhance contrast in black and white photography, your sky has the contrast that is usual from a red filter. A polarizer will have the effect of darkening skies but not as pronounced as the contrast produced by a red, orange or yellow filter.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

ok, thanks for the info

Good capture, ZL4life. The crisp glowing mountain against the dark sky makes a striking image. I agree this could have been much more had there been something on the mountain or in the foreground, but as is it is still a strong image. Well done.
    Glad you survived to bring this back!
    Last edited by gahspidy; 02-25-2007 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Sticking as featured photo. Feb. 25th, 2007
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

what do you think would be a good subject for the forground? someting simple like a bush or rock, or something.... unnatural

It's a beautiful image with that fantastic sweep of mountain side. I think the best subject somewhere else in the image would be a human to show the scale of all this. Sky looks manipulated to me as there is residual evidence of perhaps selection on the fringes of the ridge. But I may be wrong and I apologise if I am.

Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

nope, the sky is all natural. but don't worry about it.

The human or animal on the mountain giving us a scale of it's size as Tom mentioned is what I was thinking along the lines of. Not neccessarily a fg element. However, to reiterate, I think it is strong as it stands.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

congrats on the sticky

I also like this photo as is.

As to improvements. I would've said (had I been there) to zoom out a bit to capture more of the foreground slope. Or pan to the left to eliminate it. It's a bit distracting for me, especially with the twigs sticking out. It somewhat takes away from the purity of the scene IMO. It's still very appealing as is though. nicely done.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

i would have zoomed out if i could have. i was stuck with a 35-200 lense, my other one was being fixed. i agree it would be nice to see more of the forground, but i still like it.

now that i think about it, it would have been nice to have one of the guys i was climbing with in the picture, but they were irritated enough with me, i was taking their picture all day! o well

congrats on the sticky
    YEAH!
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-04-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Unsticking

I don't see what all the rage is with this image? It is nice but what is there,,,,snow a hill, heck I have that in my back yard. I am on here every day and this is the first time I am looking at it, it just didn't catch my eye untill everyone started commenting. . I think if there was a person or something in the picture it would be more interesting. If you are looking at it from a tech aspect then it's cool but it's not very interesting. Also I think color would add to it, B&W I think takes interest from it. Sorry to be a party pooper but, out of 0 to 10 score I would give it a 6 or 7 at the most.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Well, I think it's wonderful! Looks almost like some sort of lunar landscape. Desolate and beautiful. Well done!
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson L. Sparks
    snow a hill, heck I have that in my back yard.
    I've been to Ohio, I have family in Ohio, I visit them all the time, i know Ohio pretty well. I can grantee you do not have this in your back yard.
    It's funny, everyone keeps saying that a person would help, i agree it might. But there's no room for a person, the space between the bottom of the frame and the top of the hill in the foreground is about 5 feet. If i had a person in there i would have had to back way up or shoot it vertical or something, i don't know.

Looks almost like some sort of lunar landscape. Desolate and beautiful.
    thanks, i thought the same thing the first time i developed it.

Our hills are not as tall, I live east of columbus. There isn't a piece of flat ground for miles. I grew up a flat lander and now live in the hills. The closer you get to west virgina the more hilly it gets.

Sorry if you are offended but this is a Critique Forum. You said you think it is a strong image. I don't see that, it is a hill with snow.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

no offence, but i must say. this isn't just a hill with snow it's a 14,000 ft mountain with snow!

You have very good detail in the shot and contrary to others, I don't think that landscapes require people or anything else in the shot to give it scale. The sky is a little too dark and the clouds need a little work to make them the appropriate white and puffy colour. The foreground slope is also a little too grey and needs some work too, to make it more of a snow colour while retaining the detail. Although good in black and white, this still might be much better in colour.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

GB1

Very interesting shot! I think this is an example of where B&W photos sometimes make more impact than color ones. If it were color I think I'd be commenting on the exact blueness of the sky, etc.. We can just toss that in this shot.

I think it's very strong as is but I think that somehow the sloping foreground is just a tad bit of a letdown compared to the very powerful sky and detail in the mtns. BUT... I don't see how you could have gotten it any better under the circumstances (too busy surviving).

Do I underrstand correctly that it was film, not digital?

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

it was a survival class! lol
    do you think it would have been better just to stand up, zoom in, and loose the hill in the foreground?
    yes, this was film, i did all of the processing

Thread Information