Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Heron Island

Heron Island

Went to a reservoir and lake today to see the masses of Grey Heron that live there, they are nesting way up in the trees on an island in the middle of the lake, along with the cormorants.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heron Island-forum-4pg.jpg   Heron Island-forum-4.jpg   Heron Island-forum-3.jpg   Heron Island-forum1aok.jpg  
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Re: Heron Island

Wonderful in flight shots, as always Bev.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

That pretty cool! A few miles from my work is a large rookery of great blue herons, but they are 1000 feet inside a protected area
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Wow those are pretty cool captures! Have you noticed if they are in pairs? If so maybe during mating season you might be able to capture their mating dance. Its something to see!

Love the in-flight shot's!

Awsome inflights as usual Bev , I wont be seeing them nest here for another 2 months lol .
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Thanks for including the wide shot - what a riot! Quite a colony for such a small island.

Beautiful in-flights!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thanks everyone for such kind comments they are all respected so much.

Yes I will be going back as i want to get pictures of the young, but reading up on them it doesnt seem that they leave the nest for up to 50 days after hatching! so iv got some time yet and there egg laying is anywhere inbetween January & May, but it was quite awsome seeing these huge birds flying above your head.

Big baldo, they were sitting in pairs on their nests but no dancing, iv probably missed that,
    which would be a shame, but there was plenty of fighting between adults and juveniles.
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Amazing in-flight shots Bev.I love the background in the second in-flight shot, gives a real sense of speed. I see in another one of your threads you use a 100-400 zoom, is the push-pull lens easy to use, I'm still wondering which birding lens to go for. I've been looking at the 400 f/5.6 prime in some of the reviews, but still can't make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie1
    Amazing in-flight shots Bev.I love the background in the second in-flight shot, gives a real sense of speed. I see in another one of your threads you use a 100-400 zoom, is the push-pull lens easy to use, I'm still wondering which birding lens to go for. I've been looking at the 400 f/5.6 prime in some of the reviews, but still can't make up my mind.
    Thanks cassie, the 100-400L took me a while to get used to the push/pull zoom but now for birding i use very little else, apart from the 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM, and that is a fantastic lense, very fast just the job for flight shots, if your closer to your subject.The 100-400L has its drawbacks, wide open its f5.6 and in bad light its a bit sluggish but i have'nt found that a major problem to deal with.

As for the prime lenses i cant really comment as i have'nt got any, they are suppose to be faster but not as versatile as a zoom lense so you end up with quite a heavy kit bag of various lenses, but if i went for a prime it would definately be the 500mm f4L IS as it has that extra reach and speed for shyer subjects, but costing £4,200! iv a lot of saving to do!

A friend of mine has just got the 400mm f5.6 and im waiting on her reviews on it, il find out and let you know.
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Thanks for the info on your 100-400L Bev, I see it's f5.6 at the wide open end like the 400mm f5.6 prime. I would love to be able to buy the 500mm f4L IS but unfortunatly at the moment I can't afford it :-( I would be very interested to know how your friend gets on with her 400mm f5.6.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Great pics Bev, and congratulations on being featured on the Home page!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks mjs1973 for your kind words.

Cassie, Had a word today and she has only had the lense for 2 days and the weather has been grim so she says she has'nt really put it to the test yet but what she has taken, ie, a few bird portrait etc, she seems pleased with, had it on tripod and had to have the ISO on 400 as light bad, but will update you asap.

Worth a try posting a thread on the Canon camera & Equipment thread, im sure people will give their views on these lenses.
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Congrats on the featured Photo Bev
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    Congrats on the featured Photo Bev
    Thanks Knight much appreciated.
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Thread Information