Camera News and Rumors

Photography news and announcements for new digital cameras, film cameras, SLR lenses, and photography software.

New Camera and Photography News Section >>

GE Introduces Digital Camera Line - Press Release

GE enters digital photography market;
    General Imaging named exclusive worldwide licensee

NEW YORK (Feb. 13, 2007) – Already one of the most trusted consumer brands in the world, GE will soon become one of the hottest names in high-quality digital still cameras.

GE and corporate newcomer General Imaging Co. announced today that the two companies have reached an exclusive worldwide licensing agreement by which General Imaging will design, manufacture and distribute an all-new line of GE-branded digital cameras.

“We were seeking to enter the digital camera arena and found a perfect partner,” said Brad Irvine, GE President of Trading and Licensing. “The cameras from General Imaging are truly worthy of the GE name, representative of GE’s leadership in technology and innovation.”

General Imaging Co. Chairman and CEO Hiroshi “Hugh” Komiya said the GE brand comes with instant credibility.

“GE is a brand that consumers around the world know and trust,” he said. “This is a brand known for innovation and technical leadership. We fully intend to deliver on the GE brand promise and even further enhance the GE brand value.”

Headquartered in Torrance, California, General Imaging brings together an all-star cast of photo industry veterans.Komiya is a former president of Olympus Imaging Corporation.

Leading sales efforts in North America will be Rene Buhay, a former Vice-President of Global Sales for ArcSoft who had also headed North American sales for both Samsung and Ricoh. Noted industrial designer Takeyoshi Kawano will be the company’s chief designer. Kawano’s design credits include the Sony Walkman, the Sony VAIO computer and the Olympus Stylus camera series.

“Style will play an important part in our product development,” Kawano noted. “Consumers are demanding not just advanced features but stylish designs. We’re responding to that demand with cameras that are a statement of style and at the same time have all the latest technology.”

According to Kawano, advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO sensitivity, and panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.

“With advanced features like this on all our cameras, it will be difficult to take a bad photo,” he said.“GE cameras will literally change the quality of pictures for today’s consumers.”

Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and 3-inch LCD screens. A photo printer will also be included in the line.

The GE digital cameras will make their debut at the annual Photo Marketing Association trade show,March 8-11, in Las Vegas. Cameras will be available in North America from mid-April. Shipments to Europe and Asia are scheduled for later this year.

Buhay believes that response to the new camera line from retailers and consumers alike will be overwhelming.

“I’ve been in the electronics field for many years, and the GE cameras are like nothing I’ve ever seen before,” he said. “Our aim is to be Number 1 in all aspects – quality, technology, performance and value – and these cameras will do that.”

For more information go to www.ge.com/digitalcameras

To see a larger version of the image below, click here >>
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: GE Introduces Digital Camera Line - Press Release

hmmmm, I guess washers and dryers aren't selling too well I have several relatives who work at GE, one who has several patents for parts he designed, wonder if he'll be designing camera bodies or lenses now?

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

What's weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    GE will soon become one of the hottest names in high-quality digital still cameras...
    ...is that they turn on and off using a string attached to a pull chain...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

If we get an employee discount, I may have to switch brand...watch for my canon stuff on the for sale board...
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I know you guys are sort of joking, but I am excited about these cameras. If you read the press release you see the manufacturer is only licensing the GE name for brand recognition. And the people actually designing and building the new cameras have excellent backgrounds in photographic and electronic equipment design. They also plan to make image stabilization a standard feature, which I think is excellent. The only company doing that right now is Panasonic and I think that's one great reason to buy from them. The camera pictured above is a good looking one, too

I am making an appointment to see them at PMA and will be getting a camera for review as soon as possible.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hey, how do I sign up to be a camera tester? That sounds fun!
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Shame I'm the wrong side of the pond for testing...
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information