Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Clowning around with trains

I was shooting pictures of a band in front of an old abandoned railroad car when a train passed by on a nearby track. I grabbed a couple of images with my Canon A630 point and shoot. For some reason there was a passenger dressed as a clown hanging out of one of the cars (I'd really like to know the story behind that). Anyway, I grabbed this shot right as he passed by.

Re: Clowning around with trains

that's priceless!

I love how oblivious the guy in sunglasses is.

"Uh hi...yeah, you're taking my picture, I dont know why..."
    <><
    Flickr
    --Rebel T2i
    --Sigma 10-20mm
    --Canon EF-S 55-250mm
    --Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

awesome picture you captured a great moment!
    <- Jessica ->

Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ 28-105 lens

Excellent catch indeed.Besides the clown and the man and child, I also like the various bits of anatomy sticking out of the windows further down the train.
    Lovely
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Great moment. I would imagine the man does not realize that the clown, right next to him, is the center of attention. Sharp where it needed be. Well done
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I like it, but would rather see a color version. I just think clowns work better with color. Or maybe color him and leave the rest in B&W. Just a thought
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

oooooo yes yes yes......color him only....yes i would love to see that too....

My first reaction when i saw the pic was "hey the sky is blown maaannnnn..." but then i looked at it and read your post, and i wouldn't have it any other way... nice reflexes....

If you wanna know the whole story, i suggest you dont read IT by Stephen King (hahahaha)...

Sometimes i even surprise myself at how weird i can get!

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

This is a great example of how a photo that has lots of "technical faults" can still be successful due to the moment and subject matter caught. I am only curious as to whether you have done any post processing here because it is odd that the entire window area of the whole length of the train is sharp and all the wheels and top area of the entire length is blurry. I still find the picture very captivating and it sure works for me.
    Good catch
    Last edited by gahspidy; 02-12-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Sticking thread for featured photo Feb. 12, 2007

gary

Wow - I made "sticky" status. Thanks again for all the compliments.... Sorry, I haven't been visiting the forums much this week - had a lot of stuff going on in the "real world".

Gary - yes, I blurred sections of the photo post processing. I hope I didn't do too much of a hatchet job, I'm still not proficient with photo shop and other photo editors. I like doing this a lot in my photo's to emphasize certain areas. Its something I picked up in college when I was shown some beautiful portraits done with a large format camera. The photographer tilted/shifted the lens to blur out some portions and emphasize others. For me it was very striking and I've always tried to emulate it. Digitally its easier - although I suppose there could be a tendancy to overuse it. Hopefully I haven't crossed that line. ;)

-Mike Harris
    Last edited by ravenmore; 02-13-2007 at 07:22 PM.

If you guys will indulge me, here's some other examples of this, ahem "technique"... ;) First one is a portrait of my little sister. (I was chasing family members around at a bbq with a 'blad. Hehe...)

and on this one I was trying to emphasize the similarities between the vine and the barbed wire on the pole. Maybe give it a little sense of motion or something too....

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmore
    If you guys will indulge me, here's some other examples of this, ahem "technique"... ;) First one is a portrait of my little sister. (I was chasing family members around at a bbq with a 'blad. Hehe...)

clip...
    I like this portrait.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

I think that since the clown goes "unnoticed" by the other passengers that he should be the black and white in the image, and everything else in color. can we see an version of this image like that?

he would still draw attention, but the black and white would represent that he was out of place and unnoticed by others.
    -Mike
    -------------------------------------------------------
    | Canon EOS 40D | Canon EOS 350D
    | Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5
    | Canon EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | Sigma 8mm EX DG Circular Fisheye
    | Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM

I'll see what I can do - my digital editing skills are somewhat limited. Maybe this will be a good excersize and teach me a new trick or two.

I think by bluring the top and the bottom of the train I was trying to draw attention to the "menagerie" of the passengers. And here again maybe to imply movement also.

Although I noticed it was not "natural" the blur, I think your PP works well to emphasize the subjects on the train. For me personally, I would not like to see a mix of b&w and color in this one. It looks like a classic shot as it is.
    The photo of your sister is precious, but I will admit that I'm not a big fan of the technique when it comes to portraits. Having only the eyes looking like they are popping off the screen lends to an intrigueing image but I'm just not won over by the effect. Still a very nice shot, as well as the vines and barbed wire piece.
    Good work
    Last edited by gahspidy; 02-18-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Unsticking.

gary

Nice Pic...

Hehe - wow. Made "featured photo" status. Thanks for the kind words everyone....

Thread Information