Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Talking Drive-by Shooting

I was driving by and decided to take this shot.... C&C....as blunt as popssible

Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drive-by Shooting-drive-.jpg  
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

GB1

Re: Drive-by Shooting

Actually it has a few really interesting aspects. The sky is powerful and the geometry is interesting.

Now for the other things:

- if only the highway/bridge was even more curved. That would be even better geometry.
    - the city buildings in the background are a plus, but I wish they were a little lower so to stand out better and not 'touch' the highway.
    - there is an awful lot of negative space in the top right part of the photo. Maybe if there was a jetliner flying there, it would have evened out.

Not bad at all considering it was a drive by.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks GB,

Since the bridge (it is a bridge exit over the highway) is on my home everyday... I'll keep your suggestions in mind, and see what i can do!

I would have loved a jetliner, but they don't cross over there...hehehe!

Thanks again...

Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Nice shot..

My first thought was "how the heck is this guys trying to pass off a shot from space as one of his.. like we're gonna believe that he is an astronaut..." Then I saw the buildings and realised what it was.. put my glasses back on and took a better look.

Really cool concept. I like it a lot. Nice work.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

I like this one. My only minor change would be the angle of the bridge not to be so steep. Even up both sides with a crop. I like lots of skies in my pictures so I don't see it as negative space...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I don't see the sky as negative space, it's what the bridge is holding up !
    But on the space theme, the shadow from the cloud in the top right makes it look 3-dimensional and the curve of the bridge mimics the curve of the earth's surface in shots taken from orbit, an excellent capture.

I would say to balance the image you need the camera lower down and shoot from further to the left. That would probably have more city and less sky under the bridge, after all there is plenty of sky top right so having little or no sky under the bridge would better IMO.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Jaedon - hahahaha....very nicely put...thanks

Greg - Do you mean just from the right? i'll give it a shot later on! or if you want just go ahead and do it! I need to add this to my signature....

Wombat - The problem is I was driving the car to get the shot, and at the same time of day now there are no clouds (i took the picture a couple of months ago), but most important is the fact that to do what you suggested, well... I'll have to be standing in the middle of traffic!

Thanks for the input!

Marc
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Something like this. Very minor crop.
    Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drive-by Shooting-drive-bya.jpg  
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

yeah..i see what you mean... thanks...
    Marc

My Ramblings....

very nice.. certainly unique.. i dont think i have seen a "drive by" quite so "artistic"..

all in all i wouldnt dream of trying to knock it or make improvments.. sometimes when u look too close the magic is lost..

trog

thanks trog, it was dangerously fun to take this picture... it was part of series of others, of course this was the only risky image, since when i saw the bridge i knew what i wanted and made sure i was composing properly... I'm just glad the cars in front of me did not suddenly stop! which is why i stopped trying to get anymore such shots....
    Marc

My Ramblings....

I've tried a few of these drive bys until i decided it was more dangerous than what it might be worth . I did get a couple interesting ones, but nothing as good as this. There is a strong artsy quality to it. Almost looks like two pictures combined, but in a good way. The sky portion is great. The silhouette of the span curving through the frame and seperating the portions works very well. The buildings in the lower portion giving us footing as to what we are looking at. The only minor nitpik for me is that I might want to see a little space between the tops of the buildings and the span, but that is really nitpiking here.
    This is certainly an interesting scene with strong aesthetic qualities.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Much appreciated Gary...

The thing is, i do want all possible comments, although i could not do any better than this... the comments would help in the case where it was not dangerous for me to take a similar picture... so thanks for all the input...

Ever since i decided to become more active in my photgraphy, and move out of the amateur circle into the professional, i realized i need a p&s as well as my DSLR... for friends and social gatherings, as well as for on the spot, i got to take it now or i wont sleep photos...

I just dont know if i will ever stop risking for an image that calls out to me... kind of like the mermaids and ulysses... i just can't resist their song!

Thanks again...its all been truly helpful!
    Marc
    Marc

My Ramblings....

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

My first impression was a space shot too.
    Might be hard to get such a sky on a reshoot.
    Good eye!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

like i said frog it is too dangerous....and although i am keeping an eye out for a possible sky... just dont think i'm gonna get it...

Thanks for the comments

Marc
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Get a cullmann sucker mount and ball head, with a remote release for the camera.
    Then the camera can be on the rear window, not obstructing your view or driving, and your hands are on or near the wheel. Just hit the remote when you're in position.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Didn't think of that one Paul, thanks....

But the truth remains, 1 - the sky aint got the same clouds lately...but is cloudless....
    2- I need to compose it properly...since by holding it by hand in front of me, it was easy to compose...but dangerous...

But for the remote release i did not know they had them for point-and-shoot cameras

But i'll give it a shot with my 20D you never know!

thanks again!
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Basic guideline for silhouettes is that you need excellent edge and form detail and minimum negative black space. You have too much negative black space here. Pick a different time of day, or give up on this particular angle.

Ronnoco

Greg,

It took me a moment to really get a handle on what was happening in this photo. The stark difference in this image make it all the more appealing. I like the bridge despite being such a thick black bold divider and the only reason it works for me is the lower portion of the image is so different than the top. Nice capture. I like it.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

This isn't my handy work CF, I just did an edit, It's a great photo for sure. Worth the risk? Probably. Keep'em comin Marc...
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Ron - I've given up on the drive-by style, at least on the highway...for now anyway...as for the silhouettes and what i need to look for :thumbsup: thanks...

CF - Thanks for the comments although they were credited to Greg

Greg - Probably worth the risk huh?? well I'll keep that in mind next time i get inspired while driving hehehe....

Thank you all for the comments, and yes even your subtle points Ron , seriously though... thank you all this has been a great help in really identifying the elements i need.

Marc
    Marc

My Ramblings....

Thread Information