Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

First impressions of the new tele-converter

I still haven't gotten around to giving my new VCL-DH1758 (1.7x t-con)a real breaking in, but today I decided to screw it onto my VCL-M3358 (3.3 diopter close-up lens). These aren't the greatest images, but they are good enough to use as samples.

detail seems good, good bokeh. Hopefully it is a harbinger of good things to come. The stick is a little smaller around than a pencil. At first I thought it suffered from heavy vignetting, but it is just a trick of the light, something about the room where the shot was taken. The focal length here is over 700mm, while below is more like 320mm - it would make sense if the SHORTER focal length had vignetting, but it doesn't. Don't quite know what to make of it.

This next shot really surprised me: no way in hell that I could have taken this shot with only the native lens, or even the m3358 - the background is about two feet away from the subject, and is totally blurred out. The native lens would not have this short DoF, even at f/2.8 the DoF is quite large. With a digicam (not DSLR) I have to constantly fight to keep my DoF SMALL enough, rather than large enough...The M3358 could blow out the background nicely, but I would only be able to get the head in the frame, the magnification is just too great. It was also nice to be almost three feet from my subject, as with some cantankerous vipers the 10 inch focus range of the close-up lens alone is a little too-close-for-comfort. hope you enjoy!!

Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Re: First impressions of the new tele-converter

Wow those both look really nice IMO Good job.

Dave

Gear details... blah, blah, blah WHAT KIND OF GECKO IS THAT??? It's cool looking! Nice shot's Erik, the second one would look awesome with a solid b/g.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

That's a very nice looking crested gecko! My pets are leos(mack super snows, a SHTCT, tremper giant tangerine albinos and a reverse red stripe)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Testing phase or not, that first one is great
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Great photo. The first one really captures some character in addition to the nice details.

Thread Information