Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: City meter

GB1

City meter

Took a few shots downtown on Christmas day when hardly anybody was around. This is a short attempt at 'urban life' photography.

Hope it isn't too dark here.

Mamiya 645, 55mm lens, Kodak Ektachrome VS 100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails City meter-expired1_1.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: City meter

I seriously like the "expired" on the parking meter - it's what makes the image in my opinion. It gives a frisson of desolation. Perhaps it's my monitor, but the image seems like it could use a little colour correction - a tad magenta/purple?

Cheers
    Mike

I like the concept and as Mike said the parking meter terror makes the picture. I also agree about the magenta tint to the photo.

One other thing is I'd wished there was a bit more space under the 6 of the meter.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I'd agree that the bottom of the meter seems a bit cut off. Maybe try a vertical composition? It seems that would cause one to follow the curb into the background - may or may not be what you're after though. I like the concept - our meters are all digital and all we get is a blinking display when its expired. The DOF is great!

GB,

I think we had the same thought over the holiday: get out and take pictures. Looks like 5th Avenue-ish. I like the concept of the photo and had the same comments as others but would like to add a question more than a comment, is the right side of the photo over exposed? I don't know, just asking....

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

GB1

I totally agree fellows.... I guess I really should have gotten more of the bottom of the meter in the frame I also love the idea of a vertical composition .... gives me something to try next time.

Next year, I will try something like this on NYE with something in the background denoting the year. Maybe that will show that the year is expiring?

Not sure why it tilted towards the magenta/blue so much. But it was Ektachrome, which has always leaned that way.

CF, I believe it was 5th ave. That was the slightly busier street that morning. Had a little problem with some of the homeless gents down there that day... slightly confrontational, that is. I guess some folks consider the the area around where they're sitting is their home and don't like trespassers. Oh well. I also see what you mean about the right side being pretty bright. Toning that down would make the meter too dark though. I guess I could fix it in PP or perhaps have used a grad. ND filter. Next time...

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information