Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Night Ride

drg

Night Ride

Your comments and thoughts on this welcomed.

Last edited by gahspidy; 01-01-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Unsticking thread
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Re: Night Ride

I like the way you framed this, This is about the best ferris wheel picture I have seen in awhile. I really like the tones and colors. Nice work...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Hey CD ~

I am enjoying your composition here. My eye is immediately drawn to the topmost chair, follows around to the others and rides back up the trestle to the top. It's a fun ride for the eye. My only critique is that it seems a little stark. Perhaps it's that the sky is so very dark and black where I am hoping for a deep dep blue to play off the yellow highlights. It certainly isn't your average spinning night ferris wheel shot at least. Kudos for originality.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

CD, as CLKunst stated this looks rather stark, but i like that sort of thing anyway. The framing is good, and the yellow,silver,white look of this against the black sky is very appealing. Good work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I agree with the comments so far. The yellow is very complimentary and just the right amount too. I'm guessing there are lots of changes from the original here but I could be wrong.
    It's a great shot anyway.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

I would hang that on my wall. The way the light exposes the framework agains the night sky is pretty neat.

Really wish I had taken this shot. I like the lines and angles, the black/yellow/white colors are very creative, composition is terrific. If I would make any change it would be that the left vertical/upright support beam seems a bit harsh. Real nice shot.

Nice job.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

drg

Thank you all for the comments!

Decrepit is another word that was applicable to this carnival too! One of the many reasons that I was fortunate enough to find this opportunity to make this photo. It had been raining which may or may not have accentuated the starkness of the image quality.

Yes, there is some processing, mostly noise reduction, curve adjustment to highlight the contrast and of course sharpening to offset resizing. This is one that has no cropping(other than my framing script cuts a few pixels).

The light and colors caught my eye and I made several exposures to get this one. I do appreciate all of your comments and now feel like I conveyed what I had hoped for with this photograph.

Merry Christmas All!
    CDPrice 'drg'

All I can say is I wish I'd taken it.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Great picture for the feature, as I said this is one of the best ferris wheel pictures I have seen in a while...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Congrats on the sticky CD!
    Asheville Photographer

Congratulations on the sticky. This is a very good photograph.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Very nice!

drg

Thanks and a NEW question -

Gary,

Thanks for the sticky. Always glad for your input as well.

I appreciate the kudos from all but I have a specific question about why this image does what it does for you.

Is the normally warm and friendly yellow against the starkness of the background made less so or darker in intent with 'broken' aspect of the missing lights and sharp contrast of structural elements of the ferris wheel?

Thanks.

Any and all comments are welcomed whether or not you want to comment on this yellow/dark factor !
    CDPrice 'drg'

The reasons I like it are: The contrast of the grey, yellow, and blacck, the patterns made by the Wheel's construction, The way it fades into darknes from the bottom left to top right, the way you captured just the right amount of the wheel, the sharpness of each of the components, the serenity of the wheel without people on board...

Hope that helps.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I think I already did comment on the yellow/darkness factor but will refine it by saying that the starkness, in it's near erector set state, carries a strangely ominous feel/mood that you don't get from your common carnival wheel shot. I picked up on that before I knew it was derelict but thought that I might have been interpreting it wrong since use of a lit yellow color like that is usually associated with "happy".
    Asheville Photographer

drg

Roger & Cindy,

These are the kind of thoughts I was trying to elicit with the 'new' question. Cindy I had read your response and it got me to thinking about some of the original intent I had when making this photo. There is even a thought I had when preparing this to post about it initially luring the viewer with the warmth and then revealing as one looks at it the stark nature of the picture.

I was trying to bring out the elements you both have mentioned in varying degrees. I am satisfied knowing that the opposite use of the color worked in this night shot.

Now all I needed to have done was somehow have made the rain element work better... HMMMM.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
    CDPrice 'drg'

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgetop
    Very nice!
    Ridgetop, it's helpful for you to give some reason as to what it is about the image that makes you feel its is very nice. In this Critique Forum, we can all benefit and learn from why someone likes or feels an image is effective as well as when we feel it needs improvement or corrections.
    Thanks.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information