Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Cotton Candy Soft

Natural lighting from below the flower.I have several versions with the flash, but I like the delicate look this has.I might have Used miracle grow on this during the exposure. saturation +3 in-camera custom settings. Did I overdo it ? A bit strong?
    How about the softness.I feel it works for this subject.This is a characteristic of the lense{Tokina 28-70 macro / D80 in low light /no flash situations.
    Thanks; I'm here to learn.
    Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cotton Candy Soft-cali-colors2.jpg  

Re: Cotton Candy Soft

Hi starriderrick,

I think this is beautiful...very vivid colors, with nice contrast against the green. I like the blue background too...it works well behind the green of the leaves. The only thing I'm unsure about is the flower in the upper right corner...I feel like it needs to be different. Maybe it just needs to be completely in the photo...

Emily

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Beautiful colors and i like the softness but it may be a bit too soft.
    Upper right flower either completely in or completely out.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

photo gallery Mod. starriderrick's Avatar

Thankyou. I see what you mean.It looks like I centered the one flower , forgot about the comp.' Here is a crop, slight sharpening .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cotton Candy Soft-cali-colorssharp.jpg  

drg

Rick,

I feel this is still to soft. There is also not enough dynamic range to really make the red 'pop' as well as it might. A tripod and bracketing exposures might have helped?

Simply, it looks flat. I don't mind the softness but neither of these really works that well. Unfortunately this is just coming off as a blurry flower pic. Sorry, but glad to see you are experimenting. That's the way to find what will really work!! Love some of your sunsets in the gallery!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

MB1

Love the colors-all of them. I am just not sure about the placement of the main flower so close to the center of the frame in both images.

I'm not saying it is wrong, I'm just saying that I would try a few other crops to see which one I liked best.

Thread Information