Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Bats!!

Bats!!

here's a triplet from september, good stuff. The third is the best, so let them all load :-)

erik.

Re: Bats!!

Erik these are great, its good to see different mammals posted, and these are no exception! where were these guys?
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bevb
    Erik these are great, its good to see different mammals posted, and these are no exception! where were these guys?
    Thanks Bev,

their were about five or six of these guys under a sandstone bluff, sleeping in a hole in the ceiling about the size of a soda can. they were about a foot over my head, so I could literally reach up and touch them. I opted for the hands-off technique, but they were really something to see up that close. I used a flashlight to get focus because it was very dark, and then turned the flashlight off and took the photo. This spot was about fifteen feet from an old native american "hominy hole," where the local people would store seeds and nuts for the winter. Also in the area was a prehistoric grain mill, kinda like a mortar and pestle carved right into a slab of sandstone, an old shelter for the underground railroad, and a five foot timber rattlesnake :-)

good times!!

Erik.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Do you by any chance know what kind they are? Not being to up on my bat species besides, the big and little brown and red bats ( what I see mostly around here ) , I would say you found big brown bats from the LOOK of the images(can't tell size obviously)

Nice find and images.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Eric, those are really excellent shots, especially that third one. I can see why it's your favourite

Thread Information