Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Greystone

The Greystone

What do you think guys...
    Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Greystone-greystone03as.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-10-2006 at 02:42 PM. Reason: UN Sticking As Featured Photo For 4 Dec 2006
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: The Greystone

I like your idea with the barber shop pole in color but the b&w part seems too contrasty to me.

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

I think the contrast is fine. I prefer high contrast in Black and White, Ansel was a master at it. A little stronger color in the pole would make it stand out more.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

New York State Of Mind. J-Dogg Productions's Avatar

i like it. the selective color works here

nice shot

Jay
    J.Curreri

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    I think the contrast is fine. I prefer high contrast in Black and White, Ansel was a master at it. A little stronger color in the pole would make it stand out more.
    Actually Ansel was a master at controlling contrast. High contrast in black and white too often means lost detail and a resultant weak image.

A polarizing filter would have given you more control over partially distracting reflection in the window as well as over the extreme contrast.

Ronnoco

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoco
    Actually Ansel was a master at controlling contrast. High contrast in black and white too often means lost detail and a resultant weak image.

A polarizing filter would have given you more control over partially distracting reflection in the window as well as over the extreme contrast.

Ronnoco
    Yes Adams controlled contrast, but he used all of the tonal range from black to white, which in my mind(maybe not book correct in thought)is high contrast. If my image can encompass the entire tonal range from deep black to bright white without loosing detail on either end, I have accomplished my goal in Black and White.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Yes Adams controlled contrast, but he used all of the tonal range from black to white, which in my mind(maybe not book correct in thought)is high contrast. If my image can encompass the entire tonal range from deep black to bright white without loosing detail on either end, I have accomplished my goal in Black and White.
    Certainly, but that is not what we see in this image, unfortunately. Controlling the tonal range from deep black to bright white without losing detail on either end really means reducing contrast which can be achieved using a polarizer to avoid burning out the highlights.

Ronnoco

Jim, Thanks for the comments. My wife agrees about the color in the pole. I am not good enough with PhotoShop to add color without it being obvious. I have been looking for a subject to try the color and B&W technique with when I thought about the barber pole. I am really not good at layering and was flying by the seat of my pants on this one. I have another barber pole that I am going to try later on.

EOSthree, Funny you should mention Ansel Adams. The conversion techniue I used was taken from a book that used an Adams landscape as an example. The only thing that I didn't use was a sephia look. I didn't think it would work with what I was wanting. I was wanting to darken the brick wall where the white lettering of the sign would stand out more. So the contrasting difference was what I was after. Kind of a b&w red filter look too.

Jay, I am glad you like it and thanks for commenting as well.

Ron, You are dead on about the polarizer. Something that I rarely take off of my camera. I just didn't think about the reflection and left it in the car. Another lesson learned. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I actually was going to shot this from the other side but the reflection of a red light was very distracting. I also though that a slight reflection might add to the picture but now am not so sure. A reshoot would be very easy here if everyone thinks the subject is worthy.

I truely thank everyone for your critiques. I feel you guys are helping me improve and think harder when I am behind the viewfinder...

Greg
    Last edited by Greg McCary; 11-27-2006 at 06:51 AM.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Greg, I like the tones, lighting, and the amount of coloring you kept in the pole. Too much color on a b&w image is not necessary, I think. The color pops out from the gray scale well. My only critique here is the crop is slightly too tight. I would like a bit more space at top of window and perhaps a slight bit more sidewalk. This is not a major point however, and really just nit pik. Overall, a good image here. Well done.
    btw, if you used a polarizer here, you would probably sacrifice most of the tones you achieved in the brickwork surrounding the window. Personally, I would rather have the tones and dramatic lighting on the brick work as it is than lose the intensity of the reflection. The reflection here can most likely be reduced by PS.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks Gary for your comments. I agree with you on the crop as I found out when I went to get a print made of the picture. I have another version of this picture that has a little more room at the top of the window and the open sign is a little more distinct. I will try to process it and post another version.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Greg,

I keep coming back to this and finally figured out what was bugging me - Its the OPEN in the window merging with the windows in the reflection. Try taking some steps to get the open in a better position next time.

Other than that I agree with Gary on the tones in the photo and a polarizer is not required here. I quite like the reflection, it adds context to the place.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thank Roger for your comments. I have another version of this that I have since processed where the crop isn't as tight and the open sign is a little more distinct. I didn't feel the need to post it but have uploaded it into my gallery. I also thought of a reshoot late in the day when both the pole and sign are both on. I will remember that about the polarizer, I am thinking of a series of these. I have another one that I will soon be working on. Thanks again, Greg

Sony a99/a7R

I like this shot alot with the brick, I would definitely try it again with the Open sign lit so that is stands out better. I really like the subtle color on the Barbers pole.
    :idea:

Thanks for the compliments Ben. I am glad you like it...
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    if you used a polarizer here, you would probably sacrifice most of the tones you achieved in the brickwork surrounding the window. Personally, I would rather have the tones and dramatic lighting on the brick work as it is than lose the intensity of the reflection. The reflection here can most likely be reduced by PS.
    Not at all! A polarizer would allow you to reduce or eliminate the strength of the reflection in the glass and by reducing some contrast give you more tones and detail in the shadow and highlight areas. Related to this, there is presently too much lost detail in the shadow area. The detail can be brought up without losing the tones or the shadow.

Ronnoco

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I like this Greg, it's a nice detail kind of photograph.
    The selective color works, even though it's not my kind of thing.
    It may have been a little better if there were some action, like a person walking in the door or in front of the window, but I am not sure.
    Keep seeing photographs like this!
    It's working for you!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 12-04-2006 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Sticking As Featured Photo For 04 Dec 06...
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks Brian for the comments. I had a lot of fun with this picture. On the advise of a member here, I took the owner a copy of the picture. She loved it a said she was going to have it framed and hang it in her store. There was another picture hanging in the store but was just a close up of the pole by itself looking up from below. The owner said that the photo had one first place in a local contest...
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Thanks Brian for the comments. I had a lot of fun with this picture. On the advise of a member here, I took the owner a copy of the picture. She loved it a said she was going to have it framed and hang it in her store. There was another picture hanging in the store but was just a close up of the pole by itself looking up from below. The owner said that the photo had one first place in a local contest...
    Greg
    That's good!
    Giving a photograph of your subject will open many doors. It is a practice I do.
    Keep doing and you will see.
    Trust me on this.
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Thanks, Brian for the featured photo. I owe many on these forums thanks as well. To everyone who has helped me by critiqeing my photos and answering all of my questions, Thank you. I am listening and it's paying off. I also am having a ball with my new found hobby....
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Thanks, Brian for the featured photo. I owe many on these forums thanks as well. To everyone who has helped me by critiqeing my photos and answering all of my questions, Thank you. I am listening and it's paying off. I also am having a ball with my new found hobby....
    Greg

You Go Greg!
    "Brian's First Rule of Photography" Have Fun With It!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

I agree with the need to polarise comments; like the colour / b+w. Neat and a great eye for a shot!

Thanks mcpaul, I do have a slightly different version than this posted in my gallery, the "open" sign is a little more distinct and reflection not quite as strong....
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Personally, I think this should be totally b&w--no color. This is a classic b&w photo. You have detail in the shadows and detail in the highlights. I also would not have used a polarizer--the reflection works in my mind.

The problem with the Web and viewing photographs, especially black and white, is sometime they are rendered darker and more contrasty than they really are. I would venture that the print of this is marvelous to behold!
    Larry C.
    For the essence of a work of art is, after all, that it cuts out a piece of the endlessly continuous sequences of perceived experience, detaching it from all connections with one side or the other, giving it a self-sufficient form as though defined and held together by an inner core.

Thanks Larry, for the comments. I glad you like it.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information