Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: The Big Picture

GB1

The Big Picture

I've come to feel that an isolated shot of a waterfall is mindless. So when I was at Rainbow Falls ( near Mammoth CA) recently, I really tried to use the wide angle lens and get some of the bigger picture. However, I'm not sure if it worked all that well - I sort of like the zoomed in shot better. :biggrin5:

Your comments?

Kodachrome 64 film.

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Big Picture-rainbowfalls3_640.jpg   The Big Picture-rainbowfalls1_640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: The Big Picture

GB, in the top shot the colors seem to be a little dull. My preference is for the bottom shot. However, the shadows seem to be wiping out the details on the right hand side. I still like it though.
    John

drg

I like them both, but the first one more. There's more setting to the image and it seems to me to make a better scene. The foreground though, is too dark, and needs some work.

The curving cliff face is certainly an unusual and attractive element and sets off the sky and trees.

The whole photo could use some increase in color saturation and an overall tweak of parameters (but these small web photos never do jusice to this kind of work).

I agree that waterfalls and several scenic images can be mindless but sometimes it is the relaxtion quality that we want!

Thanks for sharing these!
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

MB1

I'm thinking the idea of the wide angle is better than the closeup but you took it at the wrong time of day so the light isn't all that good (plus those out of focus pine needles in the upper right corner are a distraction).

OTOH at least I don't want to crop anything here!

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

I like the second shot better, but it needs better light. I want to see more details in those rocks and shadows and a little more color.

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

I like the first shot more. It looks fake to me, and that's why I enjoy it because I know it's real. I think the bland color goes well with the shot.

I like the first shot (wide angle) better than the close up, but I do like both. I agree with the comments about the color in the wide angle shot, could use some saturation and work to bring out the fore ground details. I also like how the background is framed between the pine tree areas.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I've come to feel that an isolated shot of a waterfall is mindless.
    GB
    Why do you think they are mindless? Overdone maybe, but mindless ... hum, I'm not sure. Anyway I think the first is more compelling than the second but both are good. It is interesting that the Kodachrome created such cool colors, was it old chrome or was something lost in the scan? I think I will always be compelled to photograph moving water which I guess lends itself to being mindless.

Good images,

Phil

GB1

Thks! Interesting comments.

Everyone seems to be in consensus that the first shot's colors are dull. I actually have two shots from this position, but the other was much more saturated. Unfortunately, it was too saturated,... It seems overwhelming. I'll post it later when I get home.

John, I also wish the 2nd's foreground wasnt so wiped out. I think it might be recoverable w/ PP, will have to give it a try.

Drg, thanks for the insight. Perhaps what I meant is that 'pure' waterfall shots are sooooooooooooo one dimensional. That's where you can't see any surroundings. But I guess that when someone sits there and looks at one that they can't help but relax.

MB1 - It might have been a bad time. But it was ~ 3, 3:30 pm and the sun set at ~ 6:30. Seems like a decent time. Maybe it was just one of those funny exposure moments where the clouds etc all line up wrong?

Canuck935 - The only time that the rocks will be illuminated is prob high noon... This is because it's in a canyon. I wonder how the light would be... will have to go back and see.

Brent - I agree, it looks fake: almost like a painting. Strange. That's pretty much how it came out, I didnt PP it much.

JP - You also like the wide angle! I think it has potential still, if I can PP it correctly. It would prob have to be printed on a big print and framed to be really effective though.

Phil - Like I mentioned to Drg, the isolated shots of waterfalls just seem overally limited and detail oriented. Sometimes it's everything - the trees, the sky, and subject, etc in addition to the central part of the photo. I was also a little surprised on the color .... seems like Ekta to me (it is not). I dont believe it was old and I keep all film in a frig or freezer. I think the sky just reflected some serious blue down there. It was also polarized (mostly to slow down the shutter) and I may also have used the grad ND filter. Somehow it just added up to a bluish tint (!!?) I dont know if the scanner played a part - will check.

Thanks for all the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GB

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Thks! Interesting comments.
    Everyone seems to be in consensus that the first shot's colors are dull. I actually have two shots from this position, but the other was much more saturated. Unfortunately, it was too saturated,... It seems overwhelming. I'll post it later when I get home.
    GB
    You may need to get a better perspective on how much saturation is too much, by looking at a variety of magazines such as Practical Photography that deals with nature and landscapes. Even the use of filters is very obvious in the photos they display.

Although the colours may be "dull" to some in the first one, they nevertheless match and compliment each other very well. Black, white, silver grey and blue! What more could you ask for?

Ronnoco

Can't add anything to the existing discussion on the subject, exposier, mindless or not (I don't think they are mindless), but as I was looking at the shots I had a similar thought about the film. The colors are more representative of Ektachrome than Kodachrome. Nice job, you obviously had fun.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

GB1

Here's the shot that was taken from the same location, with a slightly different angle. I adjusted it a tad. As shown, the sky sure jumps out, more so than reality. I guess the polarizer did it's job. Really lost definition in the water and trees.

Yeah, I view a lot of other photography Ronnoco, probably more than I have time to. Since photography is not a profession for me, I guess I have the luxury :thumbsup: of pleasing myself before clients, and this one seems too saturated to me. But it's always good to know how others view things. I think that if the industry is leaning towards liberal use of filters (right now anyhow) that it's probably just a fad, but only time will tell that.

CF, maybe they sold some EKta in a Koda case?
    GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Big Picture-rainbowfalls2_640.jpg  

My Site

I like the first photo. It has more detail then the saturated one in the foreground. The top one actually has a silvery look to it and at least to me, gives the impression of a "first snowfall" with a light dusting of snow on the scene. (which adds to the intrigue of the picture in my opinion)
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

GB1

Thks Jared. It does seem like it just snowed, perhaps a semi-light dusting with little wind. I think what reallys helps the original big picture is the detail of the foreground (right side) tree plus the tree stump at the bottom. The last one seems brighter and sunnier. It's too bad that I can't take the best parts from the original and newly posted one to one image (I suppose I could in PS, but that sounds like a project.......)

GB

My Site

Thread Information