Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Water Powered Mill

The mill was one of the first in San Antonio. It dates back to 1734 and is powered by water from the San Antonio River which reaches the mill site via an aqueduct built in the same year.

Shot using a Yashica 635 w/Yashinon 80mm, 120 roll, Kodak 400VC, f-16 on a tripod. Also using a polarizer (Minolta Autopolo) I read the floor using a LunaPro w/variable angle attachment @ 7.5 degrees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Powered Mill-mission-espada-mill-640.jpg  
    Shooting B&W with:
    a Yashica 635, 120 roll - 80mm Yashinon lens and an Agfa Billy 0 (Zero) 127 roll - Solinar 7.5cm lens
    Shooting color with:
    a Yashica-Mat, 120 roll - 80mm Lumaxar lens and a Canon FTb, 135 roll - 55mm and 85mm FD lenses

Re: Water Powered Mill

Interesting photo but appears really flat on my monitor. I'd try bumping up the contrast and maybe the focus too.

Jim B.
    Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair.

George Burns

GB1

OK documentary shot. It seems a bit fuzzy to me, perhaps like it was handheld w/ too slow a shutter. It looks like a shot that will take well to sharpening, since it's contrast isn't already high.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Since my wife is an historian, I have done a lot of these type of shots in Québec and the Maritimes and they are quite difficult.

The problem is that there are a lot of angles and available light does not reach everywhere causing loss of detail in some areas as can be seen here. If you are keen on available light, then your only answer is a reflector to spread it around more evenly. If not, you may want to use fill flash with either a diffuser or toned down, to avoid being too harsh and different. Bounce flash at a cross angle might help as well. The only other answer is extensive selective post-processing to bring up detail in the dark areas, but that is also difficult given the variety of shapes.

Been there, done that, but it is definitely not easy!

Ronnoco

Thread Information