Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

The Insignificant Boater

Nice overall scene I think, but I'm not sure why I only barely got the fishing guy in there. Is that good or bad?

Kodachrome film.

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Insignificant Boater-theinsignificantboater1_640.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: The Insignificant Boater

I think the boater is small enough here that it really is insignifcant if it stays or is removed. In a large print, it may add to the scene, so I would leave it in regardless. I like the scene and it's framing. This is suffering from a dark foreground and sky that is a little too bright. Did you use the ND filter on this? I had good results on this picture in PS using the shadow/highlight tool set at 10 for the shadows and about 10 for the highlights. Then created a duplicate layer, set to multiply and about 25% opacity, and erase most of the effect from the foreground. This picture can be fixed very nicely. Good composition. Look forward to more . . .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Gary - I believe I did use the ND filter. Strange, eh. It doesnt seem like I did, I know.

I see what you mean about the contrast.,,,,,,,,, Though I think good contrast makes a shot exciting sometimes, I think the trees and uninteresting rocks in the foreground are just too much here. I will try that PS expt sometime -- when I find the time to learn it. Sad that I bought the s/w and have never found the time to do so :mad2:

gb
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Good strong contrast does look good alot of times and this is no exception. I think it is a fine image as it is, and I may be seeing a little less detail in the shadows than you are. . . which is why it is tricky to comment on such things as we all are seeing slight variations on our monitors and not quite the same thing in terms of brightness, contrast etc.
    Well, then i would guess that you using the filter made this shot, because without it it certainly would have been too underexposed in the fg and over exposed in the sky. As it is now, you can easily work with it, or leave it as is.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information