Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Pandamonium

Pandamonium

Taken last week.
    Comments welcome.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Pandamonium

I really like this shot, Tom. It's obviously not super high quality in the conventional sense of wildlife imagery, but IMO it has a great style and emotional mood to it. When that's present it can be enough to raise the success of a shot, even when technical perfection is missing.

BTW, my only chance to photograph pandas was at the Beijing Zoo. Not only was the lighting dim, but there was fingerprint-smeared glass between the animals and the viewing public. I didn't get squat... :cryin:
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

MB1

I like it a lot and think it would make a great poster (I'd really like to see it blown up REALLY large). I bet several different crops of this basic image would look great too.

Image of the week!

Tom, terrific. i agree with Steves comments. This is not typical wildlife shot, and so the sharpness, pose, etc. is not important here, but rather the mood and almost magical quality of this scene. Looks like a picture out of a storybook. Good work
    Good to see you on, as well
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Steve;
    I found actually seeing the Pandas and being so close to them to be a moving experience. The sanctuary is not a zoo thankfully and I feel a wonderful environment has been created for them here and they are treated like royalty. They appear happy and have lots of fun. We also saw the babies being bottle fed and never before have I heard so many grown men go Aah! I'm so happy how you felt about the photograph.
    BTW the work you have created on the Floridustrial site is a visual feast.

Gary;
    Thanks for your comments. I see a sense of lonliness in the shot and I prefer it to lots of playful shots I also took. Lots of shots to sort out now.

MB1
    Thanks so much for the compliment and your supportive words. Elsewhere someone suggested that I clone out the "horrible window" but I feel it is an essential part of the composition.

Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Thread Information